1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series Isometry

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1
    Hey guys. I just started a class on Fourier Analysis and I'm having a difficult time understanding this question. Any help would be much appreciated!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Verify that the Fourier Isometry holds on [−π, π] for f(t) = t. To do this, a) calculate
    the coefficients of the orthogonal Fourier series from the orthogonal series representation, b)
    calculate the sum of the squared coefficients, and c) Calculate the norm of the function as
    ∫ |f(t)|2 dt. They must be equal. How many terms in the Fourier series are necessary to have the isometry be under 5%? How many until you are under 3%, or 1%.

2. Relevant equations
    Since f(t) = t is an odd function, you only need to calculate the sine coefficients.
    bk = 1/[itex]\sqrt{}π[/itex]∫f(t)dt

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved for bk and got (-2[itex]\sqrt{}π[/itex] / k)*cos(k π)
    Then I tried solving for the sum of bk ^2 but the series diverges, so now I'm stuck. Also, I'm not even sure what I'm trying to show for this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, the series doesn't diverge. Note that ##\cos(k\pi) = (-1)^k##. Then (assuming your formula is correct; I haven't checked),
    $$b_k^2 = \frac{4\pi}{k^2}$$
    and so
    $$\sum b_k^2 = 4\pi \sum \frac{1}{k^2}$$
    which converges. (To what is another question.)

4. Feb 6, 2013 #3
    I got it! Thank you very much for pointing that out jbunniii. I can't believe I forgot to square the k.

Now that I've shown the Fourier Series is an isometry, I need to determine how many terms in the Fourier series are necessary to have the isometry be under 5%. I think I have to use the mean squared error formula for this but I'm not quite sure. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook