1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier series of a function

1. Sep 18, 2011 #1
    I'm trying to find Fourier series for the following function:
    [tex]f(x) = \begin{cases}1, & \mbox{if x $\in (-\frac{\pi}{2}+2\pi n,\frac{\pi}{2}+2\pi n)$ } \\
    -1, & \mbox{if x $\in [\frac{\pi}{2}+2\pi n,\frac{3\pi}{2} + 2\pi n]$} \end{cases}[/tex]

This is how I calculated a_n and b_n:
    [Please See 2.pdf and 3.pdf]

So I got the following series: [tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \cos{nx}\frac{4(-1)^{n+1}}{\pi(2n-1)}[/tex]

But when I checked if it converges to f(x) at point \pi I get that it diverges, however all requirements of Fourier theorem are met.

What am I doing wrong?

Attached Files:

• 2.pdf
      2.pdf
      File size:
      125.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.pdf
      3.pdf
      File size:
      119.6 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The cos(nx) term in the sum should be cos((2n-1)x) since you only pick up the odd subscripts. Otherwise it is correct. You could have saved half the work by noting that since the function is period 2pi, you could have used the formula on (-pi,pi) and observed the function is even. That's why the bn are 0. And using the half range integral for an would have made less work there too.

4. Sep 19, 2011 #3
    Thanks, indeed it saved me a lot of work!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook