1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series of Secant

1. Feb 15, 2013 #1
    So I know that sec(x) has period 2Pi, and it's even so I don't need to figure out coefficients for bn.

Let's take the limits of the integral to go from -3/2 Pi to 1/2 Pi. How do I integrate sec(x) sin(nx) dx?! Am I on the right path?

PS: I know that this doesn't satisfy the Dirichlet Theorem, but the textbook I'm using still says to compute it.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Seems to me that integral is zero for n even and indeterminate for n odd.

4. Feb 16, 2013 #3

rbj

well since [itex]\sec(x) = 1/\cos(x) [/itex] then i think you can express the cosine functions, both on the top and on the bottom as exponentials with imaginary argument. i think you can get to an integral that looks like

[tex] c_n = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\pi}^{+\pi} \frac{2}{e^{i (n+1) x}+e^{i (n-1) x}} \ dx [/tex]

i think you can find an antiderivative of that. might still come out as indeterminate. but that's the integral you have to solve.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  5. Feb 16, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I evaluated the first few odd n integrals using Mathematica, and it looks like ##a_{2n+1} = (-1)^n 2\pi##.

6. Feb 16, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The reason I thought it indeterminate is that integrating over a 2π range effectively cancels a +∞ with a -∞. E.g. with n=1, it's the integral of tan, which is log cos. An interval that spans π/2 will appear to give a sensible answer, but in reality it's undefined.

7. Feb 16, 2013 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

mathskier indicated the wrong integrand. It should be sec x cos(nx), which is the integrand I used.

8. Feb 16, 2013 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That certainly makes a difference. It's not hard to show that the integral of sec x cos(nx) over a 2pi range is the negative of that of sec x cos((n-2)x), for n > 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook