Fourier Series of simple function.

In summary, a Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function using a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is used to break down complex functions into simpler components, such as polynomials and trigonometric functions. This can be helpful in solving differential equations and understanding the behavior of systems in engineering and physics. Fourier Series can be used to represent any periodic function, including those that are continuous or piecewise continuous. To calculate a Fourier Series, we use mathematical operations to find coefficients for the sine and cosine functions, which are then used to approximate the original function.
Tschew
f(x) = cos(x) x from [-PI, 0]
f(x) = -cos(x) x from ] 0, PI]

I'm not sure how to deal with getting a Fourier series for this function. (don't bother explaining theory, I know that, just can't apply it in this case) Could anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
okay, I think I got it!

Ah well, what a stupid question that was. I figured it out.. now I just need to see what happens for even and odd harmonics and that'll be that. Thanks.

What is a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function using a sum of sine and cosine functions. It allows us to break down a complex function into simpler components that can be understood and analyzed more easily.

What is a simple function?

A simple function is a function that can be easily represented or defined using a finite number of mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Examples of simple functions include polynomials and trigonometric functions.

What is the purpose of calculating a Fourier Series of a simple function?

The purpose of calculating a Fourier Series of a simple function is to break down the function into simpler components that can be more easily analyzed and manipulated. This can be useful in solving differential equations, understanding the behavior of a system, and designing filters or signals in engineering and physics applications.

What types of functions can be represented using Fourier Series?

Fourier Series can be used to represent any periodic function, which is a function that repeats itself after a certain interval. This includes functions that are continuous or piecewise continuous, as well as functions that are not differentiable at certain points.

How is a Fourier Series calculated?

To calculate a Fourier Series of a simple function, we use a series of mathematical operations, such as integration and summation, to find the coefficients of the sine and cosine functions that make up the series. These coefficients are then used to construct the Fourier Series, which can then be used to approximate the original function.