What is the Fourier series for f(x) = sin^2(x)?

In summary, the Fourier series for f(x) = sin^2(x) can be found using the equations bn = 0, ao = 1/2, and an = (1/π)∫(sin^2(x)*cos(nx)) from 0 to 2π. By using the trig identities cos(2x) = 1 - 2sin^2(x) and cos(a)cos(b) = (cos(a+b) + cos(a-b))/2, the integral can be simplified to (4/(π*n^2))∫cos(nx) from 0 to π. Evaluating this integral results in the final Fourier series of 1/2 - (cos(2x))/
KMjuniormint5

Homework Statement

Find the Fourier series of f(x) = sin^2(x)

Homework Equations

bn = because f(x) is even
ao = (1/(2*∏))*∫(f(x)) (from 0 to 2*∏)
an = (1/(∏))*∫(f(x)*cos(x)) (from 0 to 2*∏)

The Attempt at a Solution

ao = (1/(2*∏))*∫(f(x)) (from 0 to 2*∏) = ao = 1/2
an = (1/(∏))*∫(f(x)*cos(x)) (from 0 to 2*∏) = sin^3(x) from 0 to 2∏ and I keep resulting in zero

the answer is to the Fourier series I know is 1/2 - (cos(2x))/2 how to get the cos(2x)/2 part. Is there a trig identity I am missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
cos(2x) = 1 - 2 sin2(x)

so in this case would you just plug cos(2x) into an to get it to be:

an = (1/(∏))*∫(sin^2(x)*(1-2*sin^2(x/2))dx

Your integral is wrong. You should have
[tex]a_n = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_0^{2\pi} \sin^2 x \cos nx\,dx[/tex]
The answer will depend on n, and you can't use the substitution u=sin x, like you seem to be doing, because the n is in the cosine.

when I intergrate I get 1/4[itex]\pi[/itex]*(cos(nx)*sin(2x)-2*x*cos(nx)) evaluated over 0 to 2[itex]\pi[/itex] which is still zero

How'd you get that?

an online integral calculator (numberempire.com) but i forgot the negative sign out front

Well, it's not correct, but I also don't see how you got it equal to 0 when evaluated at 0 and 2pi.

You actually don't have to do a single integral for this problem, but it's probably worth evaluating the integrals to get the practice and to see that you do indeed get the correct answer. Try solving the identity SammyS noted for sin2 x and using that in your integral. You'll also need to use the identity[tex]\cos a\cos b = \frac{\cos(a+b)+\cos(a-b)}{2}[/tex]Take care that you don't divide by 0 as well.

after going back and doing it the correct way (substitution) I get something of:
[itex]_{}a_n[/itex]=[itex]\frac{}{}2/\pi[/itex]*([itex]\frac{}{}1/n[/itex]*sin^2(x)*sin(nx)+[itex]\frac{}{}1/n^2[/itex]sin(2x)*cos(nx)+[itex]\frac{}{}2/n^2[/itex][itex]\int cos(2x)*cos(nx)[/itex]dx

Using SammyS cos(2x)= 1 - 2sin^2(x) you can see that you get the original function of [itex]_{}a_n[/itex]

so I get
([itex]\frac{}{}2/\pi[/itex]+[itex]\frac{}{}8/(\pi*n^2)[/itex][itex]\int sin^2(x)*cos(nx)[/itex]= [itex]\frac{}{}4/(\pi*n^2)[/itex][itex]\int cos(nx)[/itex]

but when you evaluate the integral on the RHS wouldn't you get sin(nx) which evaluated from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] would be 0?

When all you show is your result, all I can say is you're not doing something correctly. You seem to be making this a lot harder than it has to be, though.

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function in terms of a sum of trigonometric functions. It is used to break down a complex function into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and manipulate.

2. How is a Fourier series of sin^2(x) calculated?

The Fourier series of sin^2(x) is calculated by expressing it as a sum of sine and cosine functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. The coefficients of each term can be found using integration and the orthogonality of sine and cosine functions.

3. What is the period of sin^2(x)?

The period of sin^2(x) is π, which means the function repeats itself every π units along the x-axis.

4. How does the number of terms in a Fourier series affect the accuracy of the approximation for sin^2(x)?

The more terms included in the Fourier series, the more accurate the approximation for sin^2(x) will be. However, even a small number of terms can provide a good approximation for most practical purposes.

5. What is the use of Fourier series of sin^2(x) in science?

Fourier series of sin^2(x) has many applications in various fields of science, such as signal processing, image processing, and physics. It is used to analyze and manipulate periodic functions, which are commonly found in natural phenomena and systems.