Fourier series problem (again)

In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to solving the problem of showing that the infinite series involving cosine, \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(-1)^{n+1}\frac{\cos{nx}}{n^2}, is equal to a given expression. One approach involves using a Fourier series, but the individual discussing it is stuck and asks for help. Another approach suggests using the Fourier series of f(x)=x^2 and then converting it to the desired series using Euler's formula. A third approach suggests deriving the series term by term and then integrating to find a closed form for the sum. The conversation also briefly discusses the difference between using sine and cosine or exponentials in Fourier series, with
broegger
Can anyone help me with this?

Show that

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(-1)^{n+1}\frac{\cos{nx}}{n^2} = \frac{\pi^2-3x^2}{12} \quad , \quad x \in [-\pi,\pi].[/tex]

I have tried writing the right-side expression as a Fourier series, but it leads nowhere. What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd redo the Fourier series attempt in terms of sin's and cos's rather than exp{inx}.

writing f for the function on the right hanf side, obviously the coeffs of sin are zero since it is an even function, so you just need to do the integral of f(x)cos(nx) which looks not difficult, though I admit I've not tried to do it.

strictly speaking that doesn't prove equality, but it proves it well enough for most uses.

find Fourier series of f(x)=x^2

-- AI

matt grime>> We're supposed to do it in terms of exp{inx} and I'm stuck :(

I've found out... As TenaliRaman suggested it was easiest just to find the Fourier series of f(x)=x^2 and then use Eulers formula cos(nx) = 1/2(e^(inx)+e^(-inx)... thanks!

broegger said:
matt grime>> We're supposed to do it in terms of exp{inx} and I'm stuck :(

But doing it in terms of sins and cosines is the same as doing it in terms of exponentials.

Fourier series aren't immutable, if you've got some constraint then tell us. Also if you must use Fourier series involving exp, then why did you post a question asking for other ways of doing it?

I'm new to the subject and I was unsure how to solve these kind of problems.. I'm aware that the two approaches involving {sin,cos} or {exp} are equivalent, only I think that the exp-approach is the nicest and most general and it is always possible to find a {sin,cos}-series from an {exp}-series using Eulers formula

But, as you've found out, calculating the exp version seems harder than the sin and cosine (no nasty complex integration to do). Perhaps that is why applied courses tend to teach cos and sine, and pure courses do it in terms of exponentials, the preferred way of thinking about these in terms of functional analytic ways.

Remember that it's possible to go from sin and cos to exp just as easily as going the other way round. They are exactly the same, one is not more general than the other at all.

well, I think it's fair to say that the exp-way is more general since it applies to complex-valued functions as well as real-valued functions.. is that incorrect?

broegger said:
Can anyone help me with this?

Show that

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(-1)^{n+1}\frac{\cos{nx}}{n^2} = \frac{\pi^2-3x^2}{12} \quad , \quad x \in [-\pi,\pi].[/tex]

I have tried writing the right-side expression as a Fourier series, but it leads nowhere. What should I do?

It's interesting to note here that from [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(-1)^{n+1}\frac{\cos{nx}}{n^2} = \frac{\pi^2-3x^2}{12} \quad , \quad x \in [-\pi,\pi].[/tex] by putting x= π we obtain the sum of the much more encountered in practice infinite series:

S=∑from k=1 to ∞ 1/k2 = π2/6

As regarding the initial series another solution I see,in principle,is to derive the series term by term two times and then write conveniently the sum in (-1)k+1cos(kx) obtained.After finding also the sum of cosinuses which appear,that is obtaining a closed form in 'x' and 'n' for n=even and n=odd all that remains is to integrate two times the result(s) and take the limit for n -> ∞ for the two cases (n=odd and n=even).The limit should be the same.As I said this only in principle,from what I see at first sight we run here in a lot of complications,but apart from being tenuous this method should work.[Anyway] it is worth mentioning it;it could prove very helpful in other cases.

Last edited:
broegger said:
well, I think it's fair to say that the exp-way is more general since it applies to complex-valued functions as well as real-valued functions.. is that incorrect?

yes, that is incorrect.

ok, thanks for enligthening me

What is a Fourier series problem?

A Fourier series problem is a mathematical problem involving the representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It is based on the Fourier series, which is a mathematical tool used to analyze periodic functions and decompose them into their constituent frequencies.

What is the purpose of solving a Fourier series problem?

The purpose of solving a Fourier series problem is to approximate a given periodic function using a finite number of sinusoidal functions. This allows us to simplify complex periodic functions and make them easier to analyze and manipulate. It is also used in a variety of fields such as signal processing, image processing, and physics.

What are some applications of Fourier series problems?

Fourier series problems have a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. Some common applications include signal and image processing, data compression, solving differential equations, and analysis of periodic phenomena in science and engineering.

What are the steps to solve a Fourier series problem?

The steps to solve a Fourier series problem are as follows:

1. Identify the given periodic function and its period.
  2. Find the coefficients of the Fourier series by using the appropriate formulas or by using integration techniques.
  3. Write the Fourier series as a sum of sinusoidal functions with the calculated coefficients.
  4. Determine the convergence of the series and make any necessary adjustments.
  5. Verify the solution by comparing it with the original function.

What are some common challenges in solving Fourier series problems?

Some common challenges in solving Fourier series problems include identifying the appropriate formulas or techniques to find the coefficients, determining the convergence of the series, and dealing with complex periodic functions. It is also important to be aware of any specific conditions or constraints given in the problem that may affect the solution.