1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series Problem

1. Nov 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given that the fourier series of function f1(t)

= At/π + A , -π < t < 0
    = -At/π +A, 0 < t < π

is f(t) = 0.5A +4A/π2(cos t + 1/9 cos 3t + 1/25 cos 5t + ...)

what is the fourier series of function f2(t)
    = -At/π, -π < t < 0
    = At/π, 0 < t < π

3. The attempt at a solution
    for a function f2(t) = f1(t + π) means the function f2(t) is the function of f1(t) shifted by a distance of π to the left. How do I link this with the above problem?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: what is [tex]\frac{A(-t+\pi)}{\pi}[/tex]?
  4. Nov 6, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the reply. The function f1 is a periodic function. The function f2 is a function f1 shifted by a distance π. However, which direction the shifting should be the right answer? I found out that if we shifted f1 either to the right or left by π distance, we still get the same f2. or both answer are acceptable?

my answer is : f2(t) = A/2 + 4A/π2 {cos(t+π) + 1/9 cos(3(t+π)) + 1/25 cos(5(t+π)) + ...}

please correct me if i am wrong. thank you.
  5. Nov 6, 2008 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Shouldn't it be [itex]f_2(t)=f_1(-t+\pi)[/itex] i.e. with a negative sign in front of t :wink:
  6. Nov 6, 2008 #5
    why is it negative t? can you elaborate more on this? from my observation, i can see that the function f1 is just shifting to the left or right by π. since f1 is a periodic function, it looks like sin wave on cosine wave which are π distance from each other.
  7. Nov 7, 2008 #6

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

well, look at the functions....for [itex]0<t<\pi[/itex],

The same relationship holds for [itex]\pi<t<0[/itex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?