1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series - proving function is continuous

1. Jun 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f be an integrable, periodic function whose Fourier coefficients satisfy [itex] \sum_{-\infty}^{\infty} n^6 |\hat{f}(n)|^2 < \infty [/itex]. Prove that f is continuous.

2. Relevant equations

Looking at my notes, the only relevent things i have for this question (i think) are Bessel's inequality (but that requires f to be continuous....), the Riemann-Lebesgue Theorem, Parseval's equality and also the decay and regularity of fourier series. The statement that the uniform limit of a sequence of continuous functions is continuous, maybe I can use this?

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought this question would be simple, but I'm finding that its not. I have tried 2 methods:
    1) [itex]\sum_{-\infty}^{\infty} n^6 |\hat{f}(n)|^2 < \infty [/itex] implies [itex] n^6 |\hat{f}(n)|^2 \rightarrow 0 [/itex] hence [itex]|\hat{f}(n)| \rightarrow 0 [/itex]. I need to show that f is continuous i.e. the converse of the Riemann Lebesgue Lemma. How would I proceed from here?
    2) using L^2 convergence theorem (parseval's), [itex]\sum_{-\infty}^{\infty} |c_n|^2 \< \infty [/itex] hence there exists function g such that [itex]\hat{g}(n)=c_n=n^3 |\hat{f}(n)| [/itex]. Is this the route I should proceed?

The hypothesis also states that f is integrable, but i dont know how to use this here! Im also thinking of the M test, but dont know if I can apply it to a sum like this... Any help will be appreciated!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?