1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series question

1. Feb 20, 2008 #1
    Hey everyone,
    I got the following fourier series

F.S f(x)= (pi/2) - (4/pi) [tex]\sum[/tex]n=1,3.. to infinity (1/n^2 cos (nx))

l= pi

After deriving it the question now is how can i use it to show

[tex]\sum[/tex] n=1 to infinity (1/(2n-1)^2= 1+ 1/3^2 + 1/5^2 +... = pi^2/8

I think I am not sure what I have to do here.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2008 #2
    Usually the idea is to find some value of x that makes your Fourier series into the series in n that you want. If you choose x=pi/2 for example, cos(nx) will vanish for odd n. Then you'd plug your choice of x into the function f(x), for which you presumably have a closed form (but you haven't told us what it is).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  4. Feb 20, 2008 #3

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you think of a value for x such that the cosine becomes zero for all even n, and non-zero (for example 1) for all odd n? Then calculate f(x) for this x.

5. Feb 20, 2008 #4
    f(x)= |x| over (-pi,pi]
    -x over -pi<x<= 0 and x over 0<x<=pi

6. Feb 20, 2008 #5
    If i use x=pi/2 in fourier series cos nx vanishes and i have 1/n^2 which for odd numbers is 1/(2n-1)^2

I can get that. how would i prove the part series converges to pi^2/8

Thanks

7. Feb 20, 2008 #6
    Forgot to mention the question. question was to use fourier series and x=0 to prove it. so i cannot use x= pi/2 can i?

8. Feb 20, 2008 #7
    The x=pi/2 was just an example. It seems like the question even gives you the value of x you should use, so just plug it into the series and the function and you have your answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?