Fourier Series Question: Express q(t) as a Fourier Expansion

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of expressing q(t), the charge on the plates of a capacitor at time t, as a Fourier series expansion. The individual shares their approach using open boundary conditions and top hat functions, but gets stuck and eventually finds their mistake with the help of the other individual. The summary concludes with the final result of q(t) and a brief explanation of how it differs from the book's answer.
Nylex
I got this question out of a book, but I can't get the book's answer. Since I can't draw, I'll just describe the graph given. Express q(t) as a Fourier series expansion.

The charge q(t) on the plates of a capacitor at time t is shown as a saw-tooth wave with period [itex]2\pi[/itex] and its peak is at [itex]t = \pi[/itex], where q(t) = Q.

At first, I tried to use the expressions for open boundary conditions (as q(t) is 0 at t = 0 and t = 2 pi). I got stuck, so I started again, with

[tex]q(t) = \frac{a_{0}}{\sqrt{L}} + \sum_{n=1}^\infty a_{n} \left(\frac{2}{L}\right)^\frac{1}{2} \cos \frac{2\pi nt}{L} + \sum_{n=1}^\infty b_{n} \left(\frac{2}{L}\right)^\frac{1}{2} \sin \frac{2\pi nt}{L}[/tex]

where

[tex]a_{0} = \int_{0}^{L} \left(\frac{1}{L}\right)^\frac{1}{2} q(t) dt[/tex]

[tex]a_{n} = \int_{0}^{L} \left(\frac{2}{L}\right)^\frac{1}{2} \cos \frac{2\pi nt}{L} q(t) dt[/tex]

[tex]b_{n} = \int_{0}^{L} \left(\frac{2}{L}\right)^\frac{1}{2} \sin \frac{2\pi nt}{L} q(t) dt[/tex]

Now, since the saw-tooth is symmetric, there was no need to calculate [itex]b_{n}[/itex], since they'd have been 0 anyway.

I represented q(t) using top hat functions:

[tex]q(t) = \left[\theta(t) - \theta(t - \frac{L}{2})\right]\frac{2tQ}{L} + \left[\theta(t - \frac{L}{2}) - \theta(t - L)\right]\frac{2(L - t)Q}{L}[/tex]

Then I used that to calculate [itex]a_{0}[/tex] and [itex]a_{n}[/itex], using [itex]L = 2\pi[/itex]

After pages of working out, I got:

[tex]a_{0} = Q\pi \left(\frac{1}{2\pi}\right)^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

[tex]a_{n} = \left(\frac{1}{\pi}\right)^\frac{1}{2} \frac{Q}{\pi} \frac{2}{n^2} (\cos n\pi - 1)[/tex]

So,

[tex]q(t) = Q\left[\frac{1}{2} + \frac{2}{\pi^2} \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{\cos nt \cos (n\pi - 1)}{n^2}\right][/tex]

The book's answer is [tex]q(t) = Q\left[\frac{1}{2} - \frac{4}{\pi^2} \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{\cos (2n -1)t}{(2n - 1)^2}\right][/tex]

I don't know where I've gone wrong. I can't post all my working, as it's a lot and would take forever to LaTeX.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nylex said:
So,

[tex]q(t) = Q\left[\frac{1}{2} + \frac{2}{\pi^2} \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{\cos nt \cos (n\pi-1)}{n^2}\right][/tex]

The book's answer is [tex]q(t) = Q\left[\frac{1}{2} - \frac{4}{\pi^2} \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{\cos (2n -1)t}{(2n - 1)^2}\right][/tex]

I don't know where I've gone wrong. I can't post all my working, as it's a lot and would take forever to LaTeX.

Well, your results are equivalent :)) I'm poor at LaTeX, but I'll try to explain.

First, there is a typo in a final result (I suspect it is a typo), there should be

[tex]q(t) = Q\left[\frac{1}{2} + \frac{2}{\pi^2} \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{\cos nt (\cos (n\pi)-1)}{n^2}\right][/tex]

(notice the braces in second cos), but you got it right in a_n expression.

OK, now whenever n is even, expression under sumation is equal to 0 because [tex](\cos (n\pi)-1) = 0[/tex] for even values of n.

So, we have to sum only if n is odd, otherwise written as [tex]n = 2k-1[/tex], for k going from 1 to inf.

For odd numbers [tex](\cos (n\pi)-1) = -2[/tex]

If you put it all together you can write
[tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{-2\cos (2k-1)t}{(2k-1)^2}\right][/tex]

you can take the "-2" out of summation, and then you get the book's answer.

Hope my explanation was clear,
Cheers

Atrus said:
Well, your results are equivalent :)) I'm poor at LaTeX, but I'll try to explain.

First, there is a typo in a final result (I suspect it is a typo), there should be

[tex]q(t) = Q\left[\frac{1}{2} + \frac{2}{\pi^2} \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{\cos nt (\cos (n\pi)-1)}{n^2}\right][/tex]

(notice the braces in second cos), but you got it right in a_n expression.

OK, now whenever n is even, expression under sumation is equal to 0 because [tex](\cos (n\pi)-1) = 0[/tex] for even values of n.

So, we have to sum only if n is odd, otherwise written as [tex]n = 2k-1[/tex], for k going from 1 to inf.

For odd numbers [tex](\cos (n\pi)-1) = -2[/tex]

If you put it all together you can write
[tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{-2\cos (2k-1)t}{(2k-1)^2}\right][/tex]

you can take the "-2" out of summation, and then you get the book's answer.

Hope my explanation was clear,
Cheers

Yay, thanks very much. Yes, I did make a typo with the brackets in my post.

Thanks again :D.

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It is used to analyze and approximate the behavior of a function over time or space.

2. How is a Fourier series calculated?

A Fourier series is calculated by finding the coefficients of the sinusoidal functions that make up the series. This is typically done using the Fourier transform, which converts a function from the time or space domain to the frequency domain.

3. What is the purpose of a Fourier series?

The purpose of a Fourier series is to break down a complex function into simpler sinusoidal components that are easier to analyze and understand. It is commonly used in fields such as signal processing, engineering, and physics.

4. Can any function be represented by a Fourier series?

Yes, any periodic function can be represented by a Fourier series. However, the convergence of the series may vary depending on the smoothness of the function and the choice of basis functions.

5. What are some applications of Fourier series?

Fourier series have many practical applications, such as analyzing signals in communication systems, filtering noise from digital images, and solving differential equations in physics and engineering problems. They are also used in music and sound engineering to understand the frequency components of a sound wave.