Simplifying Fourier Series for Rectified Sinusoidal Signals

In summary, the conversation discusses two similar problems involving the formula for Dn, which is used to find the Fourier coefficients of a function. The first problem involves a rectified sine wave and the second involves a complex exponential function. The book provides the answers for both problems, but the person is confused about the simplification process for the first problem. They mention using Euler's identity to simplify the equation, resulting in the final answer of 2/(∏(1-4n^2)). The person also mentions being new to the forum and apologizes for double posting.
rishmeister

Homework Statement

Two similar problems, but once I find out how to do the first one, I can figure out how to do the second. My signals book tells me the answers to the following "Dn"s are:

First problem: Dn = (1/∏) ∫ sin(t) * e^(-j2nt) dt = 2/(∏ (1-4n^2) )

if x(t) = rectified sin(t) wave, period T = ∏.

Second problem: Dn = ∫(t/2∏) * e^(-jn*ωnaught*t) = 1/(2∏n).

Homework Equations

Formula for Dn = (1/period) ∫x(t)*e^(-(j*n*ωnaught*t))

The Attempt at a Solution

See, when I pop the first one into Wolfram, I get
e^(-2*j*n*t) * (cos(t) + 2*j*n*sin(t))
/
∏(4n^2 - 1).

Since we integrate over 0 to ∏ in the first one, I understand Euler' identity is used to get the e^(-2*j*n*t) term to 1, and the cos(∏) goes away, so I'm left with 2jn / ∏(4n^2 - 1). How did they simplify that to get what I put up top as the answer?

First post so I'm a noob.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
whoops, double post... sorry... can't figure out how to delete the post...

Last edited:

What is a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It is used in signal processing and other areas of science to simplify complex functions into simpler components.

How is a Fourier Series simplified?

A Fourier Series is simplified by using the Fourier coefficients, which are calculated by integrating the function over one period and dividing by the period. These coefficients represent the amplitude and phase of each sinusoidal component.

What is the purpose of simplifying a Fourier Series?

The purpose of simplifying a Fourier Series is to break down a complex function into simpler components that are easier to analyze and manipulate. This can help in understanding the behavior of a function and making predictions based on its properties.

What are some applications of Fourier Series Simplification?

Fourier Series Simplification has many applications in science and engineering, including signal processing, image and sound compression, solving differential equations, and analyzing periodic phenomena such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and biological rhythms.

Are there any limitations to Fourier Series Simplification?

Yes, there are some limitations to Fourier Series Simplification. It is only applicable to periodic functions, and the function must be continuous and integrable. In addition, the Fourier Series may not converge for some functions, and the number of terms used in the series may affect the accuracy of the simplified function.