Proving the Sum of a Series using Fourier Series Technique

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Fourier series technique to prove that the series 1+1/3^2+1/5^2+...+1/n^2 approaches pi^2/8 as n goes to infinity. The speaker also mentions being able to prove similar identities using the Fourier method and calculates the Fourier series for a given function. The solution involves setting x=0 in the resulting series.
maddogtheman
Use the Fourier series technique to show that the following series sum to the quantities shown:
1+1/3^2+1/5^2+...+1/n^2=pi^2/8 for n going to infinity

I foudn the series to be:

sum(1/(2n-1)^2,n,1,infinity)

but I don't know how to prove the idenity.

I don't know how to go about solving it using the Fourier method. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I was able to prove sum(1/n^4,n,1,infinity)=pi^4/90 and sum(1/n^2,n,1,infinity)=pi^2/6 and I'm not sure if the problem is simular.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the Fourier series of the following function:
[tex]f(x)=|x| \qquad -\pi<x<\pi[/tex]
meaning:
[tex]f(x)=-x \qquad -\pi<x<0[/tex]
[tex]f(x)=x \qquad 0<x<\pi[/tex]
with period [itex]2\pi[/itex]. After this set x=0 in the resulting series and you arrive at the result.

Thanks

Thanks I got it

What is a Fourier Series technique?

A Fourier Series technique is a mathematical method used to represent a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It helps to break down a complex function into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and manipulate.

What is the purpose of using a Fourier Series technique?

The purpose of using a Fourier Series technique is to approximate a periodic function by finding the values of the coefficients and frequencies of the sine and cosine functions. This allows for a more accurate representation of the function and can be used in various applications such as signal processing, image compression, and solving differential equations.

How is a Fourier Series technique applied?

A Fourier Series technique is applied by first determining the period of the function and then calculating the coefficients and frequencies using specific formulas. These values are then used to construct the Fourier Series representation of the function. The more terms included in the series, the more accurate the approximation will be.

What are the advantages of using a Fourier Series technique?

One advantage of using a Fourier Series technique is that it allows for the representation of a complex function as a sum of simpler functions. This makes it easier to analyze and manipulate the function. Additionally, it is a powerful tool in solving differential equations and can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

What are the limitations of a Fourier Series technique?

One limitation of a Fourier Series technique is that it can only be applied to periodic functions. It also requires the function to be continuous and differentiable. Additionally, the convergence of the series may not always be guaranteed, and the series may only approximate the function within a certain interval rather than the entire domain.