Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series tutorials?

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1

cgw

Looking for fourier series tutorials or even better video lectures on the subject.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Mar 6, 2008 #3
    these video lectures are pretty good, this is the first one but there's tons.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WScEpfGYQhY

5. Mar 7, 2008 #4
    In that vein, can anybody put together a few links to help learn/understand the math behind the fourier series? Just from eyeballing I'd guess a solid understanding of integration of trigonometric functions, but I'm sure there's more to it.

6. Jun 8, 2008 #5
    This guy needs some valium!
    Glad I don't have lectures with him at 9 on monday mornings :smile:

good lecturer though.

7. Jun 10, 2008 #6
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  8. Jun 11, 2008 #7

Defennder

Homework Helper

9. Jun 27, 2008 #8
    Naele~

Fourier Series is a *special case* of a more general concept. Perhaps some key words you could look up online or in textbooks would be : orthogonality, basis states, fast fourier transform (FFT), orthonormal basis, maybe even Hilbert Space, or Gram Schmidt, or Legendre polynomials, or Sturm-Liouville.

10. Jan 24, 2009 #9
    I came across these a little while ago:

Fourier Transform Video Lectures

(I know that Fourier series and the transform itself aren't the same thing, but I thought you might still like the videos)

11. Jul 22, 2009 #10
    I watched the whole 30 lecture series and they are very very good. I got so much out of it. Topics covered are Fourier Series, Fourier Transforms, convolutions, how they apply to linear systems in general, sampling, discrete Fourier Transforms, and higher dimensional Fourier Transforms. He also goes into good depth into how distributions like the Dirac Delta function are rigorously defined by Mathematicians. He's a great teacher and explains everything in such a way that it all seems natural. He's also quite funny too. You can download the whole course from iTunes U as well.

12. Jul 22, 2009 #11
    a fourier transform is like a fourier series of a periodic function where the period is infinite :smile:

13. Sep 6, 2009 #12
  14. Nov 29, 2009 #13

-DB

Wow. And I thought my linear algebra professor flew through material like crazy!:eek:

15. Dec 17, 2009 #14
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted