1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series/Wave Problem

1. Feb 14, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A violin string is plucked to the shape of a triangle with initial displacement:

y(x,0) = { 0.04x if 0 < x < L/4
    (0.04/3)(L-x) if L/4 < x < L

Find the displacement of the string at later times. Plot your result up to the n = 10 term, for t = L/10v, L/5v, and L/2v, where v = p T /µ is the speed of the wave. Are all harmonics excited?

2. Relevant equations
    The normal Fourier Series equations (the ones I use are here)

3. The attempt at a solution
    The solution is supposed to be of the form y(x,t) = Σansin(nπx/L)cos(nπvt/L)

My only issue is conceptually. I understand how to go through the math to get an. Why is it that the vt is within the cosine and not the sine? How am I even supposed to know to add the vt in? I feel like this is something unbelievably basic that I'm missing.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why would you think it should be a sine? The string is released from rest. How would you solve the problem?

4. Feb 17, 2017 #3

olivermsun

Science Advisor

Notice first that the solutions terms are a product of sin(function of x only) and cos(function of t only). What do you think these two "separated" pieces represent, conceptually?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted