Fourier Series/Wave Problem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the displacement of a plucked violin string at different times using the normal Fourier Series equations. The solution is in the form of y(x,t) = Σansin(nπx/L)cos(nπvt/L). The question is raised about why the vt is within the cosine and not the sine, and the concept of the separated pieces representing functions of x and t is discussed.
danmel413

Homework Statement

A violin string is plucked to the shape of a triangle with initial displacement:

y(x,0) = { 0.04x if 0 < x < L/4
(0.04/3)(L-x) if L/4 < x < L

Find the displacement of the string at later times. Plot your result up to the n = 10 term, for t = L/10v, L/5v, and L/2v, where v = p T /µ is the speed of the wave. Are all harmonics excited?

Homework Equations

The normal Fourier Series equations (the ones I use are here)

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is supposed to be of the form y(x,t) = Σansin(nπx/L)cos(nπvt/L)

My only issue is conceptually. I understand how to go through the math to get an. Why is it that the vt is within the cosine and not the sine? How am I even supposed to know to add the vt in? I feel like this is something unbelievably basic that I'm missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you think it should be a sine? The string is released from rest. How would you solve the problem?

danmel413 said:
The solution is supposed to be of the form y(x,t) = Σansin(nπx/L)cos(nπvt/L)

My only issue is conceptually. I understand how to go through the math to get an. Why is it that the vt is within the cosine and not the sine? How am I even supposed to know to add the vt in? I feel like this is something unbelievably basic that I'm missing.
Notice first that the solutions terms are a product of sin(function of x only) and cos(function of t only). What do you think these two "separated" pieces represent, conceptually?

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions with different amplitudes and frequencies. It is named after French mathematician Joseph Fourier and is commonly used in signal processing, image analysis, and other areas of science and engineering.

2. What is the difference between a Fourier series and a Fourier transform?

A Fourier series represents a periodic function in terms of a sum of sine and cosine functions, while a Fourier transform represents a non-periodic function in terms of a continuous spectrum of sine and cosine functions. In other words, a Fourier transform is the generalization of a Fourier series for non-periodic functions.

3. How is a Fourier series used to solve wave problems?

A Fourier series is used to represent a wave function as a sum of simpler sine and cosine functions. This allows us to analyze the different frequencies and amplitudes present in the wave and understand its behavior. By manipulating the coefficients of the Fourier series, we can also manipulate the wave and solve for specific boundary conditions.

4. What are the applications of Fourier series in science and engineering?

Fourier series have a wide range of applications in various fields such as signal processing, image analysis, acoustics, optics, and quantum mechanics. They are used to analyze and manipulate sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and other types of waves in order to extract useful information and solve complex problems.

5. Can any function be represented by a Fourier series?

No, only periodic functions can be represented by a Fourier series. However, using the Fourier transform, we can also represent non-periodic functions as a continuous spectrum of sine and cosine functions. So in theory, any function can be represented by a Fourier transform, but not necessarily a Fourier series.