1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series

1. Oct 29, 2006 #1
    I understand what the Fourier Theorem means, as well as how it behaves, I just don't understand how the math actually pans out or in what order to do what.

I'm gonna start off with what I know.

[tex]f(x) = \frac{a_0}{2} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(a_n}\cos{nx} + b_{n}\sin{nx})[/tex]

[tex] a_{0} = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(x) dx[/tex]

[tex]a_n = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(x) \cos({nx})\ dx[/tex]

[tex]b_n = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(x) \sin({nx})\ dx[/tex]

This is of course only the case with periodic functions. Depending on how the graph looks it is possible to derive [tex]f(x)[/tex], the spatial period, and maybe even its tendency to be even or odd.

(Even/odd meaning whether or not the beginning of the wavelength is at the origin. If it is/does, it's odd and only contains cosine terms, if not and it behaves more like a sine wave (highest amplitude at origin) than it is even, thus not containing any cosine terms.)

if we are given [tex]f(x)[/tex], all we do is find [tex]a_{0}[/tex], [tex]a_{n}[/tex] and [tex] B_{n}[/tex] then plug into the first equation. Is this right? I am getting absurdly long answers doing this, and as far as I can tell I can't find any way of finding out whether I'm headed in the right direction or not.

Here is one of the problems I'm having trouble with:

[tex]f(x) = A\cos({\frac{\pi x}{\lambda}})[/tex], find the fourier series (it is assumed the function is periodic on the interval [tex][0,2\lambda][/tex])
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The very important, first latex image isn't working. Neither is the image labelled (2)

[tex]f(x) = \frac{A_0}{2} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(A_n}\cos{k_nx} + B_{n}\sin{k_nx})[/tex]

[tex] = [\frac{\sin(n k x)}{(n k)^2} - \frac{x\cos(n k x)}{n k}]_{-\lambda/2}^{lambda/2}[/tex]

Did I get those right? I'm not a latex expert, I just fixed up some underscores and hoped for the best :D
  4. Oct 29, 2006 #3
    Thanks OS..formatting is working now, still need help though.
  5. Dec 22, 2006 #4
    You are missing a plus sign in the middle. It should be
    [tex]f(x) = \frac{a_0}{2} + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(a_n}\cos{nx} + b_{n}\sin{nx})[/tex]

Yes, that is the way you do it.

This is because the formulas for the coefficients you have stated only hold true for functions whose period is [tex]2\pi[/tex]. The more general formulas are:

[tex] a_{0} = \frac{2}{T} \int_{t_0}^{t_0 + T} f(x) dx[/tex]

[tex]a_n = \frac{2}{T} \int_{t_0}^{t_0 + T} f(x) \cos({n{\omega}_0 x})\ dx[/tex]

[tex]b_n = \frac{2}{T} \int_{t_0}^{t_0 + T} f(x) \sin({n{\omega}_0 x})\ dx[/tex]

where [tex]{\omega}_0 = \frac{2\pi}{T}[/tex] and [tex]\int_{t_0}^{t_0 + T} [/tex] means that the integral is over any particular period. In your example, the period is [tex]2\lambda[/tex] so [tex]{\omega}_0 = \frac{2\pi}{2\lambda} = \frac{\pi}{\lambda}[/tex] and your integral should look something like this: [tex]\int_{0}^{2\lambda}[/tex].
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  6. Dec 22, 2006 #5
    Also, the function you have given in your example is very weird because the function and its fourier series is the same. You can't decompose your function any further.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?