1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier series

1. Feb 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

find the fourier series for the function

0 -pi<x<pi
    f(x)={
    sinx 0<x<pi

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know how to do this and can't find a good explanation anywhere, any kind of help is appreciated...even just a push in the right direction

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2009 #2
    Are you saying your function is
    f(x) = 0 x<-pi
    = sin(x) 0<x<pi
    = 0 x>pi
    If so, that is not periodic and does not have a Fourier series in the usual sense, although it probably has a Fourier transform. Is that what you want?

4. Feb 19, 2009 #3
    we are supposed to assume that the function is continued outside of the interval with period 2pi periodically.
    i just realized there was a mistake with the bounds also, but i fixed it now. it is a piecewise function which equals 0 from -pi to pi and sinx from 0 to pi

5. Feb 19, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm going to guess that the problem is to find the fourier series on the interval [-pi,pi] of the function f(x)=sin(x) for x in [0,pi] and f(x)=0 for x in [-pi,0]. If so, then the coefficients of that series are defined in terms of integrals of sin(x) times sin(nx) and cos(nx). Since f(x)=0 for x<0, just integrate from 0 to pi. Can you do any of them?

6. Feb 19, 2009 #5
    ok thanks so then i have integral from 0 to pi of sinxcosnx dx. would this just give 0 since sinx is odd and cosnx is even, giving an odd function?

7. Feb 19, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

8. Feb 19, 2009 #7
    oh right. thanks so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook