Solving the Fourier Series of a 2π-Periodic Function

In summary: So, it would seem that either you or I have made an error. I can't be sure who.In summary, the odd 2π-periodic function f(x) is defined by f(x) = x^2 for π > x > 0 and -x^2 for −π < x < 0. To find the coefficient bn in the Fourier series f(x) = a0/2 + ∑(an cos(nx) + bn sin(nx)), the equations bn = 1/π ∫ f(x)sin(nx) and an = 1/π ∫f(x)cos(nx) can be used. However, since the function is odd, an = 0. The values of bn can
struggles

Homework Statement

The odd 2π-periodic function f(x) is defined by
f(x) = x2 π > x > 0
-x2 −π<x<0
Find the coefficient bn in the Fourier series
f(x) = a0/2 + ∑(an cos(nx) + bn sin(nx)).
What are the values of the coefficients a0 and an and why?

Homework Equations

bn = 1/π ∫ f(x)sin(nx)
an = 1/π ∫f(x)cos(nx)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm unsure what to do as the function changes so you cannot integrate between pi and -pi like you would normally. Also as the function is even would bn = 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
struggles said:
I'm unsure what to do as the function changes so you cannot integrate between pi and -pi like you would normally.
The function doesn't "change" - it is defined in a piecewise manner. So, you just have to break up the integration interval accordingly.

struggles said:
Also as the function is even would bn = 0?
Are you sure the function is even?

Redudant with @Fightfish 's post.

struggles said:

Homework Statement

The odd 2π-periodic function f(x) is defined by
f(x) = x2 π > x > 0
-x2 −π<x<0
Find the coefficient bn in the Fourier series
f(x) = a0/2 + ∑(an cos(nx) + bn sin(nx)).
What are the values of the coefficients a0 and an and why?

Homework Equations

bn = 1/π ∫ f(x)sin(nx)
an = 1/π ∫f(x)cos(nx)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm unsure what to do as the function changes so you cannot integrate between pi and -pi like you would normally. Also as the function is even would bn = 0?

What are the integration limits? [You should always indicate this; it is an important part of your analysis.] Have you never before performed integrations of piece-wise funcctions (defined by different formulas in different regions? Why do you say in your final sentence that the function is even?

so would i just break it up to get bn = 1/π[∫π0 x2sin(nx) + ∫0 -x2sin(nx)]

struggles said:
so would i just break it up to get bn = 1/π[∫π0 x2sin(nx) + ∫0 -x2sin(nx)]
Yes, and if you give it a little thought, computing one of the integrals (for each n) is all the work you need to do.

Last edited:
so when integrating the 2 integrals are the same except for the sign changes. This means when n = odd I get bn = 2nπ2 - 8n3
and when n = even bn = -2nπ2. Does that sound feasible?

struggles said:
so when integrating the 2 integrals are the same except for the sign changes. This means when n = odd I get bn = 2nπ2 - 8n3
and when n = even bn = -2nπ2. Does that sound feasible?
As your function is odd, ##\displaystyle b_n=\frac{2}{\pi}\int_0^{\pi} x²\sin(nx) \, dx##.
I get something different for the ##b_n##, but I can make a computation error just as you can.

I've re-done it to get (-1)n(-π2n-2n3)-(2n3) Thank you for all your help. Also would an = 0?

struggles said:
I've re-done it to get (-1)n(-π2n-2n3)-(2n3) Thank you for all your help
Still different from what I got, but again, you may have the correct result. Difficult to check without seeing the calculation.
struggles said:
Also would an = 0?
##a_n## is the definite integral of an odd function over ##(-\pi,+\pi)##. The integrals between ##(-\pi,0]## and ##[0,+\pi)## cancel out. So yes, ##a_n=0##.

struggles said:
I've re-done it to get (-1)n(-π2n-2n3)-(2n3) Thank you for all your help. Also would an = 0?
Come to think of it, the Fourier coefficients of a continuous function (among others, but that is of no importance here) on ##[-\pi, +\pi]## satisfy a number of convergence properties.
For example, ##\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{a_n}=0,\ \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{b_n}=0,\ \sum_{n=0}^\infty { |a_n|}^{2}<\infty, \sum_{n=1}^\infty { |b_n|}^{2}<\infty##.

Clearly the ##b_n## you got do not satisfy these properties.

Last edited:

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a 2π-periodic function as an infinite sum of sine and cosine functions.

2. Why is it important to solve the Fourier series of a 2π-periodic function?

Solving the Fourier series allows us to break down a complex periodic function into simpler, trigonometric components, making it easier to analyze and manipulate. It also has practical applications in fields such as signal processing and electrical engineering.

3. How do you solve the Fourier series of a 2π-periodic function?

The process involves finding the coefficients of the sine and cosine terms by using integration and orthogonality properties. The final Fourier series is then expressed as an infinite sum of these coefficients and the corresponding trigonometric functions.

4. Are there any limitations to using Fourier series?

Yes, Fourier series can only be used to represent 2π-periodic functions. Also, the convergence of the series may be an issue for some functions, so it is important to check for convergence before using the series for analysis.

5. What are some real-world applications of Fourier series?

Fourier series have numerous applications in signal processing, image and audio compression, filtering, and data analysis. They are also used in solving differential equations and in studying physical phenomena such as sound, heat, and electricity.