1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series

1. Jan 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The odd 2π-periodic function f(x) is defined by
    f(x) = x2 π > x > 0
    -x2 −π<x<0
    Find the coefficient bn in the Fourier series
    f(x) = a0/2 + ∑(an cos(nx) + bn sin(nx)).
    What are the values of the coefficients a0 and an and why?

2. Relevant equations
    bn = 1/π ∫ f(x)sin(nx)
    an = 1/π ∫f(x)cos(nx)
    3. The attempt at a solution

I'm unsure what to do as the function changes so you cannot integrate between pi and -pi like you would normally. Also as the function is even would bn = 0?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2016 #2
    The function doesn't "change" - it is defined in a piecewise manner. So, you just have to break up the integration interval accordingly.

Are you sure the function is even?

4. Jan 16, 2016 #3

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Redudant with @Fightfish 's post.

5. Jan 16, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are the integration limits? [You should always indicate this; it is an important part of your analysis.] Have you never before performed integrations of piece-wise funcctions (defined by different formulas in different regions? Why do you say in your final sentence that the function is even?

6. Jan 16, 2016 #5
    so would i just break it up to get bn = 1/π[∫π0 x2sin(nx) + ∫0 -x2sin(nx)]

7. Jan 16, 2016 #6

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, and if you give it a little thought, computing one of the integrals (for each n) is all the work you need to do.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  8. Jan 16, 2016 #7
    so when integrating the 2 integrals are the same except for the sign changes. This means when n = odd I get bn = 2nπ2 - 8n3
    and when n = even bn = -2nπ2. Does that sound feasible?

9. Jan 16, 2016 #8

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As your function is odd, ##\displaystyle b_n=\frac{2}{\pi}\int_0^{\pi} x²\sin(nx) \, dx##.
    I get something different for the ##b_n##, but I can make a computation error just as you can.

10. Jan 16, 2016 #9
    I've re-done it to get (-1)n(-π2n-2n3)-(2n3) Thank you for all your help. Also would an = 0?

11. Jan 16, 2016 #10

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Still different from what I got, but again, you may have the correct result. Difficult to check without seeing the calculation.
    ##a_n## is the definite integral of an odd function over ##(-\pi,+\pi)##. The integrals between ##(-\pi,0]## and ##[0,+\pi)## cancel out. So yes, ##a_n=0##.

12. Jan 17, 2016 #11

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Come to think of it, the Fourier coefficients of a continuous function (among others, but that is of no importance here) on ##[-\pi, +\pi]## satisfy a number of convergence properties.
    For example, ##\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{a_n}=0,\ \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{b_n}=0,\ \sum_{n=0}^\infty { |a_n|}^{2}<\infty, \sum_{n=1}^\infty { |b_n|}^{2}<\infty##.

Clearly the ##b_n## you got do not satisfy these properties.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted