Calculating Coefficients of Fourier Series Homework

In summary: Why do I need to check the values that come out of my formula?In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem where the line goes from one equation to another equation, but doesn't know how to get from one equation to the next. If anyone could explain this to him, it would be greatly appreciated.
teme92

Homework Statement

I'm calculating the coefficients for the Fourier series and I got to part where I can't simplify an any further but I know I have to.

[tex]a_n = \frac{1}{2π}\Big[\frac{cos(n-1)π}{n-1}-\frac{cos(n+1)π}{n+1}-\frac{1}{n-1}+\frac{1}{n+1}\Big][/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found an example where the above line goes straight to:

[tex]a_n=-\frac{1}{2π}(1+(-1)^n)\frac{2}{(n-1)(n+1)}[/tex]

I don't know how you get from one line to the next. If anyone could explain this to me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is ##\cos(n\pi)##?

-1 for n = odd and 1 for n = even.

So how can you write this on a more concise form?

[tex](-1)^n[/tex]

So how can you apply this to your problem?

I've tried subbing (-1)n in for both of the cos parts but it doesn't simply to what is given.

teme92 said:
I've tried subbing (-1)n in for both of the cos parts but it doesn't simply to what is given.

Yes it does; start again.

When I sub in and simplify I'm getting:

[tex]a_n = \frac{1}{2π}\Big[\frac{(-1)^n + (-1)^n}{(n-1)(n+1)}\Big][/tex]

Last edited:
Observe that you have ##\cos[(n-1)\pi]## and that you have some other terms too.

[tex]a_n = \frac{1}{2π}\Big[\frac{(-1)^n}{n-1}-\frac{(-1)^n}{n+1}-\frac{1}{n-1}+\frac{1}{n+1}\Big][/tex]

Is this correct?

teme92 said:
[tex]a_n = \frac{1}{2π}\Big[\frac{(-1)^n}{n-1}-\frac{(-1)^n}{n+1}-\frac{1}{n-1}+\frac{1}{n+1}\Big][/tex]

Is this correct?
Why don't you try inserting a few values to check?

What would I be checking for?

That the values that come out of your formula agree with the original expression.

If I put integers in for n will the result not be a single number?

Yes, but it will be different for different n of course. I said "inserting a few values".

[tex]n=0: a_n = 0[/tex]

[tex]n=1: a_n = \frac{1}{2π} [/tex](has zero dividers though)

[tex]n=2: a_n = \frac{1}{12π}[/tex]

And if you use the same values in the original expression?

But do I not want there to be n's in my result?

Yes. But you want to check that you got the right result first. You asked:
teme92 said:

Is this correct?

If there is any n for which your new expression does not equal the old, then it is not correct.

Likes teme92

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It is used to break down a complex function into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and manipulate.

2. How do you calculate the coefficients of a Fourier series?

The coefficients of a Fourier series can be calculated using the formula:

𝑎𝑛 = 1/𝑇 ∫−𝑇/2𝑇/2 𝑓(𝑥)cos(𝑛𝜋𝑥/𝑇) 𝑑𝑥

𝑏𝑛 = 1/𝑇 ∫−𝑇/2𝑇/2 𝑓(𝑥)sin(𝑛𝜋𝑥/𝑇) 𝑑𝑥

Where 𝑎𝑛 and 𝑏𝑛 are the coefficients, 𝑓(𝑥) is the periodic function, and 𝑇 is the period.

3. What is the significance of the coefficients in a Fourier series?

The coefficients in a Fourier series represent the amplitude and phase of each sinusoidal component that makes up the periodic function. They provide valuable information about the characteristics and behavior of the function.

4. Can the coefficients of a Fourier series be negative?

Yes, the coefficients of a Fourier series can be negative depending on the function being analyzed. The negative coefficient indicates that the corresponding sinusoidal component is out of phase with the function.

5. What is the use of calculating the coefficients of a Fourier series?

Calculating the coefficients of a Fourier series is useful in many applications, such as signal processing, image compression, and solving differential equations. It allows us to represent complex functions in a simpler form, making it easier to analyze and manipulate them.