Finding Fourier Series of f(x)=√(x2) -pi/2<x<pi/2

In summary: The function you are trying to Fourier series is an even function, but you wrote it like an odd function. You need to use the half-period formula. The coefficient on the half-period formula is 2/pi.
Evilavatar2

Homework Statement

Find the Fourier series of the function
f(x) =√(x2) -pi/2<x<pi/2 , with period pi

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried attempting the question, but couldn't get the answer. uploaded my attempted qns with the picture attached
WhatsApp Image 2017-01-20 at 9.34.39 PM.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks solid at first glance...maybe an algebraic error, I'll go back and look at the details soon.
Remember, your final form should be something like:
## f(x) = a_0 + \sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n \cos 2n x ##

You were right to use the half-period formula and notice it was an even function. You did not write it like one f(x) = |x|, not f(x) = x.
For ##a_0##, it looks like you did 1/2pi, instead of 1/pi for the full period of pi. On the half-period formula, you want to double the result to get the full period, so you should end up with 2/pi as your coefficient on that integral
## a_0 = \frac2\pi \int_0^{\pi/2} f(x) \, dx .##
For your ##a_n ## terms, your coefficient was incorrect as well, since it should be (L was correctly identified as pi/2).
##a_n = \frac2L \int_0^{L} f(x)\cos\left(\frac{nx}{L} \right)\, dx .##
Other than those coefficients, your integration by parts looks to be done correctly from what I can make out.
**edit** you missed a negative sign in the sine integral. Integral of sin(x) dx = - cos x. **end of edit**
Let me know if you are still having trouble.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for helping. I have decided to redo the whole question and corrected the ao. But i can't find the mistake that you pointed out for the integral sin(x)dx= -cos x. Also my answer is still incorrect. :H

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2017-01-21 at 12.48.34 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-01-21 at 12.48.34 AM.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 423
I must have lost track of the negative sign somewhere--your new solutions seem to be in the right neighborhood.
Look at the coefficient on your ##a_n## integral. It is the same as the one you used on your ##a_0## integral. It should be twice as big.

Likes Evilavatar2

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as an infinite sum of sines and cosines. It is used to decompose a complicated function into simpler trigonometric functions, making it easier to analyze and understand.

2. How do you find the Fourier series of a function?

To find the Fourier series of a function, you need to follow a series of steps. First, you need to determine the period of the function. Then, you can use the Fourier series formula to find the coefficients of the sines and cosines. Finally, you can combine the coefficients with the trigonometric functions to form the Fourier series.

3. What is the period of the function f(x)=√(x2) -pi/2

The period of the function f(x)=√(x2) -pi/2

4. What are the coefficients of the Fourier series for f(x)=√(x2) -pi/2

The coefficients of the Fourier series for f(x)=√(x2) -pi/2 an = (2/L) ∫f(x)cos(nx)dx
bn = (2/L) ∫f(x)sin(nx)dx
where L is the period of the function. In this case, L=pi. After plugging in the function and solving the integrals, we get:
an = (4/pi)(-1)^n/(n^2)
bn = 0

5. How accurate is the Fourier series approximation of f(x)=√(x2) -pi/2

The accuracy of the Fourier series approximation depends on the number of terms used in the series. The more terms included, the closer the approximation will be to the original function. However, even with a large number of terms, the Fourier series will never be an exact representation of the function. It is an infinite series and can only approach the function as the number of terms approaches infinity.