1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series

1. Oct 31, 2005 #1
    Find the Fourier Series in terms of [itex] \phi_{n} = \sin{nx} [/itex] of the step function

f(x) = 0 for [itex] 0 \leq x \leq \frac{1}{2} \pi [/itex]
    = 1 for [itex] \frac{1}{2} \pi < x \leq \pi [/itex]

Fourier Series is [itex] \Sigma c_{n} \phi_{n} [/itex]
    and for hte interval for x between 0 and 1/2 pi
    [tex] c_{n} = \frac{\int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}\pi} 0 dx}{\int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}\pi} (\sin{nx})^2 dx [/tex]
    because rho is assumed to be 1
    the numerator is a constant and assumed to be 1
    the denominator
    [tex] \int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}\pi} (\sin{nx})^2 dx = \int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2} \pi} (\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i})^2 = \frac{-1}{4} [\frac{e^{2ixn}}{2in}- \frac{e^{-2inx}}{2in} -2x]_{0}^{\frac{1}{2} \pi} = \frac{\sin{n \pi} - \pi}{-4} = \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

P.s. Not done typing this yet but can you tell me if im going in the right direction?
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2005 #2
    i don't think it's that complicated. just use integration stuff you learned in 1st-year calculus to deal with that sine integral. that's all you need to know. i think there's some identity that will change that sin^2 into cos something. i can't remember it off the top of my head but i think that how i learned to reduce an even power of a trig function.

& what is rho? i don';t think that appears in anything you've written there.
  4. Oct 31, 2005 #3
    rho is supposed to be the weight

what is the integral of (Sin nx)^2??
    can anyone help!
  5. Oct 31, 2005 #4
    aha I found the identity in my 2nd edition of edwards/penney's calculus text, in the section on trig integrals:
    [tex]sin^{2}n\theta = \frac{1 - cos(2n\theta)}{2}[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?