1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series

1. Nov 10, 2005 #1
    Find the FOurier Series in terms of [itex] \phi_{n} = \sin(nx) [/itex] of the step function

f(x) = 0 for [itex] 0 \leq x \leq \frac{1}{2} \pi [/tex]
    f(x) =1 for [itex] \frac{1}{2} \pi < x \leq \pi [/itex]

now i have no problem finding the series for each branch. But how would i combine them?

for the 0 to 1/2 pi
    [tex] \frac{4}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \sin nx [/tex]
    for the 1/2 pi to pi
    [tex] \frac{-4}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n} \left((-1)^n + \cos(\frac{n \pi}{2}) \right) [/tex]

please help me on combining the two!

Thank you for your help
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Strictly speaking, you are not finding the Fourier series for two different functions, you are finding the cn in [itex]\Sum c_n sin(nx)[/itex] by integrating a single function.
    And, I might point out, you have NOT found the Fourier series on x between 0 and [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]. f(x)= 0 there so the Fourier series is just 0.
    [tex]c_n= \frac{2}{\pi}\int_0^\pi f(x)sin(nx)dx= \frac{2}{/pi}\left(\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}0 sin(nx)dx+ \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^\pi 1 sin(nx)dx\right)[/tex]

That is just
    [tex]c_n= \frac{2}{\pi}\int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^\pi sin(nx)dx[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?