1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier sine series

1. Sep 4, 2014 #1
    1. Expand the function f(x)=x^3 in a fourier sine series on the inteval 0≤ x ≤ 1

2. I was thinking of using these equations in an attempt to find the solution

f(x)=∑b[itex]_{n}[/itex]sin(nx)

and

b_n=[itex]\frac{2}{∏}[/itex]∫f(x)sin(nx)dx where n=1,2,....,

I am somewhat lost in what to do exactly, could anyone help me step by step??

3. when i integrate in respect of x i get [x^4/4sinnx)-cos(nx)n]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2014 #2
    buddy, you're supposed to integrate from 0 to 1

4. Sep 4, 2014 #3
    Yes and when i do that i get:

2(sin(1)/4-cos(1))+1 if n=1

5. Sep 4, 2014 #4
    By the way how do you use Latex here on the site???

6. Sep 4, 2014 #5

olivermsun

Science Advisor

The Fourier series on x [itex]\in[/itex] [0, 1] needs to be made up of sines which are periodic over [0, 1], so you probably want to use ##\sum b_n \sin(2\pi nx)##.

As for using ##\LaTeX##, go "Advanced" in the editor; under "Quick Symbols" you'll see a link to the LaTeX FAQ.

7. Sep 4, 2014 #6
    [tex]b_n = 2 \int_{0}^{1} x^3 sin(2 \pi n x) dx [/tex]

i get the integration to give me

[tex]2[\frac{x^4}{4}sin(2\pi n x)-cos(2 \pi n x)2 \pi n]_0^1 [/tex]

Is this correct?

8. Sep 4, 2014 #7
    looks right

9. Sep 4, 2014 #8
    [tex]b_n = 2 \int_{0}^{1} x^3 sin(2 \pi n x) dx [/tex]

i get the integration to give me

[tex]2[\frac{x^4}{4}sin(2\pi n x)-cos(2 \pi n x)2 \pi n]_0^1 [/tex]

so when i take it from 0 to 1, i get something like this.

[tex]\frac{sin(2 \pi n)}{4}-cos(2 \pi n)*2 \pi n[/tex]

which gives me

[tex]f(x) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(\frac{sin(2 \pi n)}{4}-cos(2 \pi n)*2 \pi n)sin(2 \pi n x)[/tex]

Am i on the right path or???

10. Sep 4, 2014 #9

olivermsun

Science Advisor

Why is it ##x^3##?

11. Sep 4, 2014 #10
    Because the assignment say that f(x)= x^3 ???

12. Sep 4, 2014 #11

olivermsun

Science Advisor

Okay, I was just confused because your original post says this:

13. Sep 4, 2014 #12
    I've writen down exactly what the assignement says, but I can't denie that i've misunderstood something?

except for x^2 which is x^3

14. Sep 4, 2014 #13

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You seem to be on the right track, except your OP said the function was ##x^2## and you seem to be working on ##x^3##.
    That looks like you tried to integrate by parts (which is the right thing to do) but the answer looks wrong. You should have more terms, and you need to integrate by parts more than once.

What are ##\sin 2 \pi n## and ##\cos 2 \pi n##, when ##n## is an integer?

Comment on LaTeX: use \sin \cos \tan \log etc for functions, not just sin cos tan log. Notice the difference between ##\sin 2 \pi n## and ##sin 2 \pi n##.

15. Sep 4, 2014 #14

olivermsun

Science Advisor

What I'm saying is that your original post says x^2, and your later posts say x^3.

16. Sep 4, 2014 #15
    I integrated the function in respect of x, but only a single time. but why do i need to integrated several times? and would that still for x?

I guess $$ \sin(2 \pi), \sin(4 \pi)$$.... & $$\cos(2 \pi) \cos(4 \pi)$$

??

17. Sep 4, 2014 #16
    I integrated the function in respect of x, but only a single time. but why do i need to integrated several times? and would that still be for x?

I guess [tex] \sin(2 \pi), \sin( 9 \pi) [/tex] for n=1 & 2 &[tex] \cos(4 \pi) \cos(8 \pi)[/tex] for n=1 & 2

as sin is an uneven function and cos is an even function
    ??

18. Sep 4, 2014 #17
    yeah I see that, sorry for confusing you!:redface:

19. Sep 4, 2014 #18

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You seem to have figured this out in later posts, but above you have [text] and [/txt], rather than [tex] and [/tex]. You can also use $$ characters at the start and end, which are easier to type.

For inline LaTeX, use [itex] and [/itex] or a pair of ## symbols.

20. Sep 4, 2014 #19
    I am really lost here, hope someone can help me!

21. Sep 4, 2014 #20

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it is not. If you do the integral and then plot some of the sums ##\sum_{n=1}^N b_n \sin(2\pi n x)## for large ##N## (say ##N = 10## or ##N = 15##) and over ##0 \leq x \leq 1## you will see that your series looks nothing at all like the function ##x^3##.

Instead, we can look at the function ##x^3## over the interval (-1,1) and take its Fourier series, which will be of the form
    [tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} c_n \sin(n \pi x), \: c_n = \int_{-1}^1 x^3 \sin(n \pi x)\, dx
    = 2 \int_0^1 x^3 \sin(n \pi x) \, dx .[/tex]
    When we plot ##\sum_{n=1}^N c_n \sin(\pi n x)## over [0,1] and for large ##N## it looks very close to the graph of ##x^3##.

BTW, in LaTeX, if you want sin and cos (and all the other standard functions) to come out looking nice, you should precede them by a backslash, so use \sin or \cos instead of sin and cos; you will get ##\sin, \cos## instead of ##sin, cos##. See the difference?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted