1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Sine Transform

1. Feb 26, 2013 #1
    I am having a hard time understanding how the Fourier sine transform works. I understand that you input a function and you get a function as an output, but I have no idea how certain inputs are even valid. Here is what the book gives for the transform:
    [itex]F(\omega )=\frac{2}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\infty}f(t)\displaystyle\sin (\omega t)dt[/itex]
    For my example, I need to transform an IC in a PDE problem. [itex]u(x,0)=H(1-x)[/itex] where [itex]H[/itex] is the Heaviside function. Basically, [itex]u(x,0)=1[/itex] when [itex]0\le x<1[/itex] and [itex]u(x,0)=0[/itex] when [itex]x\ge 1[/itex]. I assume then that the transform works out in the following manner:
    [itex]F(\omega )=\frac{2}{\pi}\int_{0}^{1}\displaystyle\sin (\omega t)dt=\frac{2}{\pi \omega}(1-\displaystyle\cos (\omega)[/itex]
    What would happen in the case that [itex]f(t)=1[/itex]? The integral would not converge, yet, mathematica tells me there is an answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If ##f(t) = 1## for all ##t \in \mathbb{R}##, you are of course correct. The integral ##\int_{0}^{\infty} \sin(\omega t) dt## does not converge for any ##\omega \neq 0##. What "answer" did Mathematica give you?

4. Feb 27, 2013 #3
    I was getting [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}/\omega[/itex]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted