1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier spectrum problem

1. Jun 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to figure out how to graph the signal spectra of an AM signal where the message m(t) is multiplied by the carrier, which is sin^3 (wt) instead of cos (wt). I can do the FT but I do not know how to graph this since there are imaginary numbers as coefficients

Also, I do not know how to do the fourier transform of say sin(3x). You get to this point:

kj/8 ∫m(t) e^-j6pi(f-f0)t dt what do I do with the 6pi???

2. Relevant equations

Euler's identity for sin(x), sin^3(x) = (3/4)sin(x) - (1/4)sin(3x)

y(t), the output, = km(t)sin^3(ωt)

3. The attempt at a solution

Using these two equations I have found the FT of the signal to be as follows:

Y(f) = -[((3kj)/8)F(f-f0) + ((3kj)/8)F(f+f0)] + F{ the sin(3x) function, which IDK how to do!}

Just dont know how to graph that or get the second portion of the answer. Thanks
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't see how you can graph anything if you're not given what m(t) is. Such as m(t) = m0 sin(w0t)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted