Understanding the Fourier Time Shift Property

In summary, the X(e^{j\omega }) notation is just a different convention for representing the value of the Fourier transform at a given angular frequency, commonly used in electronic engineering.
junglebeast
The time shift property of the Fourier transform is defined as follows:

[itex]x(n - n_o ) \Leftrightarrow e^{ - j\omega n_o } X(e^{j\omega } )[/itex]

I am confused by this notation...what does [itex]X(e^{j\omega } )[/itex] mean? I know that [itex]X(\omega)[/itex] is the value of the Fourier transform at a given angular frequency but I'm confused why it has been put in a complex exponent.

It is also sometimes written as:

[itex]h(x) = f(x - x_0)[/itex]
[itex]\hat{h}(\xi)= e^{-2\pi i x_0\xi }\hat{f}(\xi)[/itex]

This notation I think I understand...it's saying that, if I have the DFT of [itex]f(x)[/itex], then I can get the DFT for [itex]f(x - x_0)[/itex] by multiplying each point in the DFT by a scale factor that depends on the frequency. Specifically, from Euler's relation, I should scale the real/complex part by,

[itex]\cos(-2 \pi x_0 \xi ) + i \sin(2 \pi x_0 \xi )[/itex].

I tested this out by constructing a DFT that has a single spike, then taking the inverse FFT to reconstruct a time signal...and scaling the DFT spike and reconstructing again to see if I got a time shifted signal. I did not. When I thought about it more, I realized that this doesn't make sense, because some time shifts would result in multiplication by zero, which means that a shift followed by a negative shift could result in the signal being destroyed.

What have I got wrong?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
junglebeast said:
The time shift property of the Fourier transform is defined as follows:

[itex]x(n - n_o ) \Leftrightarrow e^{ - j\omega n_o } X(e^{j\omega } )[/itex]

I am confused by this notation...what does [itex]X(e^{j\omega } )[/itex] mean?
Looks like a typo to me, I think it should be simply X(ω). Here's another link, they do have F(ω) (different notation):
http://cnx.org/content/m10100/latest/

I tested this out by constructing a DFT that has a single spike, then taking the inverse FFT to reconstruct a time signal...and scaling the DFT spike and reconstructing again to see if I got a time shifted signal. I did not. When I thought about it more, I realized that this doesn't make sense, because some time shifts would result in multiplication by zero, which means that a shift followed by a negative shift could result in the signal being destroyed.

What have I got wrong?
Not sure what is going on with your test. You might try starting in the time domain, with both a spike at t=0 and also a time-shifted spike. Take the FFT of both and compare.

BTW, if you want to represent purely real time-domain signals, the frequency-domain should have the property

X(-ω) = X*(ω),

where * denotes the complex conjugate. So the only way to have a single spike in the frequency domain is when that spike is at ω=0.

Alright, I found out where my confusion was...everything I said in my above post was correct, except for the place where I said "I tried this and it didn't work," because the reason it didn't work is I was doing the complex multiplication pointwise, and complex multiplication actually involves some addition! Now it all makes sense.

X(-ω) = X*(ω),

where * denotes the complex conjugate. So the only way to have a single spike in the frequency domain is when that spike is at ω=0.

Oh I was only referring to a single spike in the positive frequencies...because obviously the negative frequency range is just a mirror of the positive data as you point out.I'm still confused about the X(e^jw) notation though...I've seen it in many different places so I don't think it's just a typo..

Last edited:
junglebeast said:
I'm still confused about the X(e^jw) notation though...I've seen it in many different places so I don't think it's just a typo..
That is bizarre. If X is the signal in the frequency domain, the argument must be a real number ... this is the Fourier Transform, not Laplace, after all. I am equally baffled.

It's only a notation criterium.

As usual in Fourier Analysis in function of the application area, differents conventions appear.

the notation X(w) it's usual for physicist but the notation X(expiw) it's more usual for electronic engineering.
The second notation has conection with the bilateral Laplace transform for cotninuous signal and Z transform for discrete signals.
Esentially it means:
a) for cotinuos signal, the Fourier Transform is a particular case of laplace transform, where the complex number s, is restricted to unit circle.
b) for discrete signals, the same idea but with Z Transforms.

1. What is the Fourier time shift property?

The Fourier time shift property is a mathematical concept used to analyze and understand signals that vary over time. It states that shifting a signal in time domain results in a phase shift in the frequency domain.

2. How is the Fourier time shift property useful?

The Fourier time shift property is useful in many applications, such as signal processing, image processing, and data compression. It allows us to analyze and manipulate signals in the frequency domain, which can provide insights and simplify complex calculations.

3. Can you explain the mathematical formula for the Fourier time shift property?

Yes, the formula for the Fourier time shift property is e-i2πft, where f represents the frequency and t represents the time shift. This formula shows the phase shift in the frequency domain due to a time shift in the time domain.

4. How does the Fourier time shift property relate to the Fourier transform?

The Fourier time shift property is a property of the Fourier transform, which is a mathematical tool used to convert a signal from its original domain (e.g. time) to the frequency domain. The time shift property explains the effect of shifting a signal in time on its Fourier transform.

5. Are there any limitations to the Fourier time shift property?

While the Fourier time shift property is a powerful tool, it has some limitations. It assumes that the signal is periodic and stationary, meaning that it repeats itself over time and does not change over time. In real-world applications, these assumptions may not always hold, which can affect the accuracy of the Fourier time shift property.