Understanding Fourier Transform: Tips and Tricks for Accurate Results

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help with finding the Fourier sine and cosine transforms of two functions, and getting incorrect answers. The person is advised to show their work and check their algebra.
Toyona10
Hi guys~

I have got a few things about some Fourier transform Q/A that i wanted to check...so here you go:

1) Find the Fourier sine and cosine transform of f(x)=x 0<x<3

ok, for the sine, i get -9/n∏ but i get zero for cosine part, is it wrong?

and the second one:

find the Fourier transform of f(x)=x^2 -2<x<2

i know that we use the exponential (e^-inx) here and the answer i get is almost right but its just that i get 'i's along with my answer. How do i correct that??

thanks in advance~

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Toyona10 said:
Hi guys~

I have got a few things about some Fourier transform Q/A that i wanted to check...so here you go:

1) Find the Fourier sine and cosine transform of f(x)=x 0<x<3

ok, for the sine, i get -9/n∏ but i get zero for cosine part, is it wrong?
Yes, it's wrong. Show your work so we can see where you went astray.

and the second one:

find the Fourier transform of f(x)=x^2 -2<x<2

i know that we use the exponential (e^-inx) here and the answer i get is almost right but its just that i get 'i's along with my answer. How do i correct that??

thanks in advance~
Do your algebra correctly. :wink: Again, you need to show your work.

1. What is a Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to break down a complex signal into its individual frequency components. It converts a signal from the time or spatial domain to the frequency domain, providing information about the amplitudes and phases of the different frequency components.

2. How is the Fourier transform useful in science?

The Fourier transform is widely used in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is particularly useful in signal processing, image analysis, and data compression. It allows scientists to analyze and manipulate signals and data in the frequency domain, which can provide valuable insights and improve the efficiency of various processes.

3. What is the difference between a Fourier transform and a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions with different frequencies, while a Fourier transform is used to analyze non-periodic signals or those with a finite duration. In other words, a Fourier series is a discrete version of a Fourier transform, which is a continuous function.

4. Can the Fourier transform be applied to both continuous and discrete signals?

Yes, the Fourier transform can be applied to both continuous and discrete signals. For continuous signals, the Fourier transform is represented by an integral, while for discrete signals, it is represented by a summation. The Fourier transform can also be extended to multidimensional signals, making it a versatile tool in various scientific applications.

5. Are there different types of Fourier transforms?

Yes, there are several types of Fourier transforms, including the Fourier series, the discrete Fourier transform (DFT), and the fast Fourier transform (FFT). These variations have different applications and are used to solve different types of problems. The FFT, for example, is a more efficient algorithm for calculating the DFT and is commonly used in digital signal processing.