Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Fourier Transform / Integral

1. Sep 22, 2005 #1
    Hi,

I got an exam in calculus in a few weeks, and lots of questions coming up. Here's one of them:

We learned that the Fourier Transform of

[tex] f(x) = e^{-|x|} [/tex]
    is
    [tex] \hat f(\omega) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}\frac{1}{1+\omega^2}[/tex]

I've got no problem with this one. Now, since [tex] \hat f(\omega)[/tex] is Lebesgue - integrable, the inverse Fourier transform exists and should be

[tex] \hat \hat f(-x) = e^{-|x|} [/tex]

To show this the 'hard way', I want to calculate the integral

[tex] \sqrt{\frac{1}{2 \pi}} \int \limits_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{1}{1+t^2} e^{i \omega t} \mathrm{d} t [/tex]

Well, I just don't know how to do this one. Partial Integration doesn't seem to work, and I can't find neither a good substition nor a clever use of Fubini's Theorem.

Would be thankful for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2005 #2

mathman

Science Advisor

I have never seen it derived directly. However, it is easily found in a table of definite integrals.

4. Sep 22, 2005 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One way to do this is by using complex contour integration and the residue theorem.

Integrate

[tex] \int \frac{1}{1+z^2} e^{i \omega z} \mathrm{d} t [/tex]

along the closed contour that consists of the portion of the real axis from [itex]-R[/itex] to [itex]R[/itex] together with a closing counterclockwise semicircle of radius [itex]R[/itex] in the upper halfplane. Let [itex]R\rightarrow \infty[/itex]. Then:the closed contour encloses a pole at [itex]z=i[/itex]; the contibution from the semicircle goes to zero.

Repeat for a clockwise semicircle in the lower halfplane.

Regards,
    George

Last edited: Sep 22, 2005
  5. Sep 22, 2005 #4
    As I was just told, it seems to be done by using the residue theorem of complex analysis.

edit: George was faster, thanks! Working it out...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook