1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform (log)

1. Oct 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the Fourier transforms of the following distributions: log|x|, d/dx log|x|.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm starting with the second distribution:
    [tex] \langle F(pf(\frac{1}{x})),\phi \rangle = \langle pf(\frac{1}{x}),F(\phi) \rangle [/tex]
    where F() is the fourier transform, and pf is a pseudo function. I'm applying the property that lets me move the fourier transform to the test function.
    [tex] = \lim_{\substack {\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}} \left[ \int^\infty _\varepsilon \frac{1}{x} \int^\infty _{-\infty} \phi(y) e^{ixy} dy dx + \int^{-\varepsilon} _{-\infty} \frac{1}{x} \int^\infty _{-\infty} \phi(y) e^{ixy} dy dx\right][/tex]

I think the direction I'm supposed to go is to put the exp and 1/x terms together and determine the answer via complex residuals. If that's correct, I could use some help getting there.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?