Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform me

1. Dec 12, 2009 #1
    fourier transform plz help me

if the fourier transform of f(x,y) is f(u,v) what is the fourier transform of the following:

f(x+6,y)
    f(x,-y)
    f(2x+6,y)

plz solve it and help me

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2009 #2
    Re: fourier transform plz help me

Just try substituting these into the definition

[tex]F[f(x,y)](u,v)=\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}f(x,y)e^{-i(ux+vy)}dxdy[/tex]

f.e. lets do the first one:

f(x+6,y):

[tex]F[f(x+6,y)]=\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}f(x+6,y)e^{-i(ux+vy)}dxdy[/tex]

I'm gonna make the next change of variables:
    [tex]x->\tilde{x}-6[/tex]

The boundaries of the integral remains unchanged, and so does the differential, but we get:

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}f(\tilde{x},y)e^{-i(u\tilde{x}-6u+vy)}d\tilde{x}dy[/tex]

Notice that [tex]e^{i6u}[/tex] is constant wrt to the integration, so we pull it out and what we have left of the integral is simply the fourier transform of f(x,y) [because x* is just a dummy variable]:

[tex]e^{i6u}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}f(\tilde{x},y)e^{-i(u\tilde{x}+vy)}d\tilde{x}dy=e^{i6u}f(u,v)[/tex]

This technique of variable change is the standard technique to observe how shift & scale of the time-domain (the original function) affects the frequency-domain (its fourier transform).

4. Dec 12, 2009 #3

i can't understand, plz explain more
    thanks for your attention

5. Dec 30, 2009 #4

You obviously don't understand simple substitution in integrals, maybe you should brush up on that first.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook