Can you provide me with the formula for the 3D Fourier transform of 1/r?

In summary, the Fourier transform of 1/r is a frequency domain representation of the inverse radial distance function. It can be derived using the standard definition of the Fourier transform and has several applications in physics and engineering. It is a continuous function but can also be discretized. Additionally, the Fourier transform of 1/r can be inverted using the inverse Fourier transform to reconstruct the original function in the spatial domain.
krishna mohan
Hi..

What is the Fourier transform of 1/r?
Is it proportional to 1/(k^2) ?

How do you prove this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you mean this formula (which I found by Googling for "Fourier transform 1/r")?

I had found this...I wanted the 3D Fourier transform...not the 2D one...

1. What is the Fourier transform of 1/r?

The Fourier transform of 1/r is a frequency domain representation of the inverse radial distance function. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze signals or functions that exhibit a radial symmetry.

2. How is the Fourier transform of 1/r derived?

The Fourier transform of 1/r can be derived using the standard definition of the Fourier transform, which involves integrating the function over all space and multiplying it by the appropriate exponentials. In this case, the integral involves spherical coordinates and results in a Bessel function of the first kind.

3. What is the significance of the Fourier transform of 1/r?

The Fourier transform of 1/r has several applications in physics and engineering, including in the analysis of electromagnetic fields, gravitational potentials, and acoustic waves. It also has implications in quantum mechanics and the study of wavefunctions in three dimensions.

4. Is the Fourier transform of 1/r a continuous or discrete function?

The Fourier transform of 1/r is a continuous function, as it involves an integral over all space. However, in certain cases, it can be discretized for practical purposes, such as in numerical simulations or signal processing.

5. Can the Fourier transform of 1/r be inverted?

Yes, the Fourier transform of 1/r can be inverted using the inverse Fourier transform. This allows for the reconstruction of the original function in the spatial domain from its frequency domain representation.