1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform of a constant

1. Feb 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Fourier transform of a constant

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am trying to prove that Fourier Transform of a constant is a Dirac delta function.I have fed f(x)=1 in the formula of Forward Fourier transform and got F(k)=int{exp[-ik*pi*x]}dx
    I know that this is delta function with arguement k.But cannot prove it.It's sure to give infinity at k=0.But,for other values of k I am not getting the integral=0.So,an attempt through the way of definition fails.Can anyone help me?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2007 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Start with \delta(x) and Fourier transform it. You get a constant.
  4. Feb 25, 2007 #3
    Here is a method how to do it.It took some time,however.

First, you find the F.T. of delta(x) and it turns out as a constant F(k)=1
    Then,you did inverse transform of 1 which yields a delta function.
    Like this: int{exp[ik'x']dk'}=2*pi*delta(x')
    Putting k'=x and x'=-k,we have

Now consider the F.T. of a constant function g(x)=c
    G(k)=int{c exp[-ikx]dx}=c[2*pi*delta(-k)]=2*pi*c delta(k)
  5. Oct 17, 2011 #4
    If you compute Int( exp(-ikx), x=-Infinity..Infinity) you get Infinity for k=0 and 2/k sin(k Infinity) that is undefined for k=/=0. To remove this ambiguity use the Residue theorem giving Int( exp(-ikz), z on C ) = 0 where C is the contour of a half-disk of radius R. Then using the parametrisation z = R exp (i alpha) and letting R->Infinity you will find Int( exp(-ikx), x=-Infinity..Infinity) = 0 for k =/=0. Using this reasoning you get that Int( exp(-ikx), x=-Infinity..Infinity) is "proportional" to delta(k).

To understand the factor 2*pi you have to work in the context of the definitions of the Fourier transform and of his inverse. These definitions results from the Fourier serie as T->Infinity, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_Transform.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?