Reducing Equation to 3 Sinc Terms

• Thread starter eschiesser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, reducing an equation to 3 sinc terms is a method used to simplify complex equations involving periodic functions. It can help with easier analysis and understanding of mathematical principles. However, this may result in a loss of accuracy, which can be compensated for using more precise techniques. Not all equations can be reduced to 3 sinc terms, and there are limitations and drawbacks to this method, such as potential inaccuracies and time-consuming computations. Despite these limitations, it can be used in real-world applications, such as signal processing and image processing, to make complex equations more manageable for data analysis and modeling.
eschiesser

Homework Statement

I am attempting to manipulate this equation into a form that, presumably, has 3 Sinc terms. I am attempting to do this because my professor has written "reduce the solution to terms having sinc functions", and I am assuming there are 3, because plotting this equation in mathematica gives 3 "streaks" (this is the Fourier transform of a triangular aperture), which, intuitively, corresponds to 3 terms.

variables are:
[itex]\text{fy}[/itex]
[itex]\text{fx}[/itex]

Constants are:
[itex]\text{h}[/itex]
[itex]\text{d}[/itex]

Homework Equations

This is the equation I have derived. It is correct, but not necessarily of the correct form.

[itex]\text{G}[\text{fx},\text{fy}]\text{=}\frac{-i d}{2\pi \text{fy}}\left(e^{i \pi (\text{fx} d+\text{fy} h)} \text{Sinc}[\pi (-h \text{fy} + \text{fx} d)]-e^{i \pi (\text{fx} d-\text{fy} h)} \text{Sinc}[\pi (h \text{fy} + \text{fx} d)]\right)[/itex]

Also, to be clear, [itex]\text{Sinc}[x] = \frac{\text{Sin}[\pi x]}{\pi x}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

By putting the Sinc functions in terms of exponentials, I was able to change the form of the equation to this. But I am not sure if this is better or worse, or closer or further from the intended result. Does anyone see a way to get either equation into 3 terms containing Sinc functions?

[itex]\text{G}[\text{fx},\text{fy}]\text{=}\frac{d (\text{fy} \text{Cos}[2 d \text{fx} \pi ]-\text{fy} h \text{Cos}[2 \text{fy} h \pi ]+i (\text{fy} \text{Sin}[2 d \text{fx} \pi ]-d \text{fx} \text{Sin}[2 \text{fy} h \pi ]))}{2 \text{fy} (-d \text{fx}+\text{fy} h) (d \text{fx}+\text{fy} h) \pi ^2}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your equation and your attempt at manipulating it. From my understanding, your goal is to reduce the solution to terms containing Sinc functions. I will provide some suggestions and steps that may help you achieve this.

1. Use Euler's formula to rewrite the exponential terms in terms of Sinc functions. Remember that $e^{ix} = \cos(x) + i\sin(x)$.

2. Simplify the resulting expression by combining like terms and using trigonometric identities.

3. Use the fact that $\sin(x)/x$ is an odd function and $\cos(x)/x$ is an even function, to simplify the expression further.

4. Finally, use the definition of the Sinc function, $\text{Sinc}(x) = \sin(\pi x)/(\pi x)$, to express the remaining terms in terms of Sinc functions.

I hope this helps guide you towards the desired result. Best of luck with your work!

1. What is the purpose of reducing an equation to 3 sinc terms?

The purpose of reducing an equation to 3 sinc terms is to simplify a complex equation into a more manageable form. This allows for easier analysis and a better understanding of the underlying mathematical principles.

2. How does reducing an equation to 3 sinc terms affect the accuracy of the solution?

The accuracy of the solution may be affected when reducing an equation to 3 sinc terms, as some information and details from the original equation may be lost in the simplification process. However, in most cases, this loss of accuracy is minimal and can be compensated for by using more precise mathematical techniques.

3. Can any equation be reduced to 3 sinc terms?

No, not all equations can be reduced to 3 sinc terms. This method is typically used for equations that involve periodic functions, such as sine or cosine. It may not be suitable for equations with more complex functions or non-periodic behavior.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to reducing an equation to 3 sinc terms?

One limitation of reducing an equation to 3 sinc terms is that it may not provide an exact solution, as mentioned earlier. Additionally, this method may not be applicable to all types of equations and may require prior knowledge of the underlying mathematical principles. It may also be time-consuming and computationally intensive for certain equations.

5. Can reducing an equation to 3 sinc terms be used in real-world applications?

Yes, reducing an equation to 3 sinc terms can be used in various real-world applications, such as signal processing, digital communications, and image processing. It can help simplify complex equations and make them more manageable for data analysis and modeling. However, it is important to carefully consider the limitations and potential inaccuracies when using this method in practical scenarios.