1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Transform of a Triangular Aperture: Manipulate Exponentials, Sinc functions

1. Oct 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am attempting to manipulate this equation into a form that, presumably, has 3 Sinc terms. I am attempting to do this because my professor has written "reduce the solution to terms having sinc functions", and I am assuming there are 3, because plotting this equation in mathematica gives 3 "streaks" (this is the fourier transform of a triangular aperture), which, intuitively, corresponds to 3 terms.

variables are:
    [itex]\text{fy}[/itex]
    [itex]\text{fx}[/itex]

Constants are:
    [itex]\text{h}[/itex]
    [itex]\text{d}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

This is the equation I have derived. It is correct, but not necessarily of the correct form.

[itex]\text{G}[\text{fx},\text{fy}]\text{=}\frac{-i d}{2\pi \text{fy}}\left(e^{i \pi (\text{fx} d+\text{fy} h)} \text{Sinc}[\pi (-h \text{fy} + \text{fx} d)]-e^{i \pi (\text{fx} d-\text{fy} h)} \text{Sinc}[\pi (h \text{fy} + \text{fx} d)]\right)[/itex]

Also, to be clear, [itex]\text{Sinc}[x] = \frac{\text{Sin}[\pi x]}{\pi x}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

By putting the Sinc functions in terms of exponentials, I was able to change the form of the equation to this. But I am not sure if this is better or worse, or closer or further from the intended result. Does anyone see a way to get either equation into 3 terms containing Sinc functions?

[itex]\text{G}[\text{fx},\text{fy}]\text{=}\frac{d (\text{fy} \text{Cos}[2 d \text{fx} \pi ]-\text{fy} h \text{Cos}[2 \text{fy} h \pi ]+i (\text{fy} \text{Sin}[2 d \text{fx} \pi ]-d \text{fx} \text{Sin}[2 \text{fy} h \pi ]))}{2 \text{fy} (-d \text{fx}+\text{fy} h) (d \text{fx}+\text{fy} h) \pi ^2}[/itex]

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?