Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform of an annulus

1. Feb 7, 2014 #1
    Hi guys,

I've been using this site for a while now, but this is going to be my first post. I want to pick your brains to get some insight on this problem I'm tackling.

I'm trying to take a Fourier Transform of a function. My function is a function of (r,phi) and it is a piecewise function where:

f(r,θ) = 0 , r < r_inner
    f(r,θ) = cos(θ)^2 + (-0.5)*sin(θ)^2 , r_inner ≤r ≤ r_outter
    f(r,θ) = 0 , r > r_outter

I've attached a figure here. forupload.jpg Can I take the FT of the pieces individually and then sum? My knowledge so far tells me this is OK. Since my function is in polar coordinates, I should take the FT in polar coordinates; is there an efficient (clever) way to go about this given the the nature of the function, perhaps that it is symmetric every n*pi ?

Any suggestions/insight would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    T

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2014 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The "best" way to do this depends on how you want to use the transform.

A good way to start is probably to write f(r,θ) = R(r)T(θ), where R(r) is 0 or 1, and T(θ} = cos(θ)^2 + (-0.5)*sin(θ)^2.

Using elementary trig formulas, T(θ) = a + b cos(2θ) (work out the constants a and b for yourself!) so its Fourier transform is simple.

You could take the Fourier transform of R(r) for all non-negative values of r, or just restrict the way that you use the function, to the region where it is non-zero.

4. Feb 8, 2014 #3
    Ah awesome thanks for getting back! I made some more progress.

The fourier transform in polar coordinates is defined as this (I will just list one of them).
    F(ρ,ø) = FT[f(r,θ)] = ∫∫ ƒ(r,θ) * exp( i2[itex]\pi[/itex]*ρ*r*cos(ø-θ) ) r dr dθ , r from 0→∞ , θ from 0→ 2 [itex]\pi[/itex].

This works great because f(r,θ) is 0 everywhere except between when r_inner ≤ r ≤ r_routter.
    So I only need to take one integral, which is

∫∫ ƒ(r,θ) * exp( i2[itex]\pi[/itex]*ρ*r*cos(ø-θ) ) r dr dθ , r from r_inner → r_outter , θ from 0→ 2 [itex]\pi[/itex] , with ƒ(r,θ) = ( (3/4)*cos(2θ) ) + 1/4

Here I am stuck again. How should I think about taking/approaching this integral? Again, thanks in advance for any insight!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook