Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform of integral

1. Jun 17, 2011 #1
    Hey, this is my first post, great forum!! You've really helped me a lot of times.
    I have a problem solving an integro-differential equation. It involves a term of the form: integration over [t, +infinity) of f(s)*exp(t-s)ds.
    I have to solve the equation using Fourier transform, and most of the other terms are ok, but I have a problem with this one. I know that if the limits of integration where (-infinity, +infinity) it would be a convolution and it's fourier transform would be simple, but I don't know what to do in this case. I tried to find the Fourier transform using the logic of the proof of the convolution theorem, but I end up with a result with t and s. Do you have any ideas on what to do? Any ideas and help would be really welcome!
    Thanks!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2011 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi lost87 and welcome to Physics Forums.

Could you perhaps post the full integro-differential equation so that we can take a look at it?

4. Jun 17, 2011 #3
    So, what you are describing is like convolution, only integrating over s>=t. I think there is way you could restate that integral as an equivalent integral from negative infinity to infinitiy by using a different function in place of f(s).

5. Jun 17, 2011 #4
    Hey, the equation has the form: f'=af(t)+b(integral of f(s)*exp(t-s) ds from t to +infinity) +cf''+e(integral of f(s)*exp(-(t-s)) ds from -infinty to t). I can find the Fourier transform for most of the terms, but I don't know what to do with the terms with the integral. I hope this helps.

6. Jun 17, 2011 #5
    Hey, thanks for your reply, but I am not sure that I understand what you are suggesting. Will that involve a change of the variables s, t?

7. Jun 17, 2011 #6
    No, I was suggesting replacing f(s) with a different function of s, so that the bounds of the integral could be changed to from -infinity to infinity, and the integral would be equal to the integral you described.

Is this a homework problem?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  8. Jun 18, 2011 #7
    Hey, thanks again for your reply. No it's not a homework problem, it's just something I am working on in my dissertation

9. Jun 18, 2011 #8
    u(s-t) evaluates to zero when s < t

[itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}f(s)u(s-t)e^{t-s}ds = \int^{t}_{-\infty}f(s)u(s-t)e^{t-s}ds + \int^{\infty}_{t}f(s)u(s-t)e^{t-s} = \int^{\infty}_{t}f(s)e^{t-s}ds[/itex]
    as
    [itex]\int^{t}_{-\infty}f(s)u(s-t)e^{t-s}ds = 0 [/itex]

Now, to get the Fourier transform of [itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}f(s)u(s-t)e^{t-s}ds [/itex], we have to figure out what two functions [of t] are being convolved. I hadn't thought this all the way through so I may have been misleading when I suggested replacing f(s). Actually, we'll have to group the unit step with the exponential to use the convolution theorem.

Let
    [itex]g(\tau) = u(-\tau)e^{\tau}[/itex]
    so that
    [itex]g(t-s) = u(s-t)e^{t-s}[/itex]

and
    [itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}f(s)u(s-t)e^{t-s}ds = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}f(s)g(t-s)ds[/itex]

so

[itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}( \int^{\infty}_{t}f(s)e^{t-s}ds)e^{-j\omega t}dt = \mathcal{F}\left\{ \int^{\infty}_{t}f(s)e^{t-s}ds\right\} = \mathcal{F}\left\{ f(t) * g(t) \right\}[/itex]

[itex] = \mathcal{F}\left\{ f(t) \right\}\mathcal{F}\left\{ g(t) \right\} = \mathcal{F}\left\{ f(t) \right\} \mathcal{F}\left\{ u(-t)e^{t} \right\}[/itex]

[itex]\mathcal{F}\left\{ u(t)e^{-t} \right\} = \frac{1}{1 + j\omega}[/itex]
    so
    [itex]\mathcal{F}\left\{ u(-t)e^{t} \right\} = \frac{1}{1 - j\omega}[/itex]

finally

[itex]\mathcal{F}\left\{ \int^{\infty}_{t}f(s)e^{t-s}ds\right\} = \frac{\mathcal{F}\left\{ f(t) \right\} }{1 - j\omega}[/itex]

10. Jun 19, 2011 #9
    This is great! I can't explain how helpful this has been! Thanks for everything!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook