Fourier transform of integral

In summary, the conversation involved a user seeking help with an integro-differential equation involving an integral term. They were having trouble finding the Fourier transform for this term and were unsure of how to approach it. Another user suggested using a different function to restate the integral and applying the convolution theorem. After some discussion and calculations, the Fourier transform for the integral term was found to be a combination of the Fourier transform of the original function and the unit step function. The user expressed their gratitude for the help and patience of the other user.
lost87
Hey, this is my first post, great forum! You've really helped me a lot of times.
I have a problem solving an integro-differential equation. It involves a term of the form: integration over [t, +infinity) of f(s)*exp(t-s)ds.
I have to solve the equation using Fourier transform, and most of the other terms are ok, but I have a problem with this one. I know that if the limits of integration where (-infinity, +infinity) it would be a convolution and it's Fourier transform would be simple, but I don't know what to do in this case. I tried to find the Fourier transform using the logic of the proof of the convolution theorem, but I end up with a result with t and s. Do you have any ideas on what to do? Any ideas and help would be really welcome!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
lost87 said:
Hey, this is my first post, great forum! You've really helped me a lot of times.
I have a problem solving an integro-differential equation. It involves a term of the form: integration over [t, +infinity) of f(s)*exp(t-s)ds.
I have to solve the equation using Fourier transform, and most of the other terms are ok, but I have a problem with this one. I know that if the limits of integration where (-infinity, +infinity) it would be a convolution and it's Fourier transform would be simple, but I don't know what to do in this case. I tried to find the Fourier transform using the logic of the proof of the convolution theorem, but I end up with a result with t and s. Do you have any ideas on what to do? Any ideas and help would be really welcome!
Thanks!
Hi lost87 and welcome to Physics Forums.

Could you perhaps post the full integro-differential equation so that we can take a look at it?

So, what you are describing is like convolution, only integrating over s>=t. I think there is way you could restate that integral as an equivalent integral from negative infinity to infinitiy by using a different function in place of f(s).

Hootenanny said:
Hi lost87 and welcome to Physics Forums.

Could you perhaps post the full integro-differential equation so that we can take a look at it?

Hey, the equation has the form: f'=af(t)+b(integral of f(s)*exp(t-s) ds from t to +infinity) +cf''+e(integral of f(s)*exp(-(t-s)) ds from -infinty to t). I can find the Fourier transform for most of the terms, but I don't know what to do with the terms with the integral. I hope this helps.

MisterX said:
So, what you are describing is like convolution, only integrating over s>=t. I think there is way you could restate that integral as an equivalent integral from negative infinity to infinitiy by using a different function in place of f(s).

Hey, thanks for your reply, but I am not sure that I understand what you are suggesting. Will that involve a change of the variables s, t?

lost87 said:
Hey, thanks for your reply, but I am not sure that I understand what you are suggesting. Will that involve a change of the variables s, t?

No, I was suggesting replacing f(s) with a different function of s, so that the bounds of the integral could be changed to from -infinity to infinity, and the integral would be equal to the integral you described.

Is this a homework problem?

Last edited:
MisterX said:
No, I was suggesting replacing f(s) with a different function of s, so that the bounds of the integral could be changed to from -infinity to infinity, and the integral would be equal to the integral you described.

Is this a homework problem?

Hey, thanks again for your reply. No it's not a homework problem, it's just something I am working on in my dissertation

u(s-t) evaluates to zero when s < t

[itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}f(s)u(s-t)e^{t-s}ds = \int^{t}_{-\infty}f(s)u(s-t)e^{t-s}ds + \int^{\infty}_{t}f(s)u(s-t)e^{t-s} = \int^{\infty}_{t}f(s)e^{t-s}ds[/itex]
as
[itex]\int^{t}_{-\infty}f(s)u(s-t)e^{t-s}ds = 0 [/itex]

Now, to get the Fourier transform of [itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}f(s)u(s-t)e^{t-s}ds [/itex], we have to figure out what two functions [of t] are being convolved. I hadn't thought this all the way through so I may have been misleading when I suggested replacing f(s). Actually, we'll have to group the unit step with the exponential to use the convolution theorem.

Let
[itex]g(\tau) = u(-\tau)e^{\tau}[/itex]
so that
[itex]g(t-s) = u(s-t)e^{t-s}[/itex]

and
[itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}f(s)u(s-t)e^{t-s}ds = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}f(s)g(t-s)ds[/itex]

so

[itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}( \int^{\infty}_{t}f(s)e^{t-s}ds)e^{-j\omega t}dt = \mathcal{F}\left\{ \int^{\infty}_{t}f(s)e^{t-s}ds\right\} = \mathcal{F}\left\{ f(t) * g(t) \right\}[/itex]

[itex] = \mathcal{F}\left\{ f(t) \right\}\mathcal{F}\left\{ g(t) \right\} = \mathcal{F}\left\{ f(t) \right\} \mathcal{F}\left\{ u(-t)e^{t} \right\}[/itex]

[itex]\mathcal{F}\left\{ u(t)e^{-t} \right\} = \frac{1}{1 + j\omega}[/itex]
so
[itex]\mathcal{F}\left\{ u(-t)e^{t} \right\} = \frac{1}{1 - j\omega}[/itex]

finally

[itex]\mathcal{F}\left\{ \int^{\infty}_{t}f(s)e^{t-s}ds\right\} = \frac{\mathcal{F}\left\{ f(t) \right\} }{1 - j\omega}[/itex]

MisterX said:
u(s-t) evaluates to zero when s < t

[itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}f(s)u(s-t)e^{t-s}ds = \int^{t}_{-\infty}f(s)u(s-t)e^{t-s}ds + \int^{\infty}_{t}f(s)u(s-t)e^{t-s} = \int^{\infty}_{t}f(s)e^{t-s}ds[/itex]
as
[itex]\int^{t}_{-\infty}f(s)u(s-t)e^{t-s}ds = 0 [/itex]

Now, to get the Fourier transform of [itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}f(s)u(s-t)e^{t-s}ds [/itex], we have to figure out what two functions [of t] are being convolved. I hadn't thought this all the way through so I may have been misleading when I suggested replacing f(s). Actually, we'll have to group the unit step with the exponential to use the convolution theorem.

Let
[itex]g(\tau) = u(-\tau)e^{\tau}[/itex]
so that
[itex]g(t-s) = u(s-t)e^{t-s}[/itex]

and
[itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}f(s)u(s-t)e^{t-s}ds = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}f(s)g(t-s)ds[/itex]

so

[itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}( \int^{\infty}_{t}f(s)e^{t-s}ds)e^{-j\omega t}dt = \mathcal{F}\left\{ \int^{\infty}_{t}f(s)e^{t-s}ds\right\} = \mathcal{F}\left\{ f(t) * g(t) \right\}[/itex]

[itex] = \mathcal{F}\left\{ f(t) \right\}\mathcal{F}\left\{ g(t) \right\} = \mathcal{F}\left\{ f(t) \right\} \mathcal{F}\left\{ u(-t)e^{t} \right\}[/itex]

[itex]\mathcal{F}\left\{ u(t)e^{-t} \right\} = \frac{1}{1 + j\omega}[/itex]
so
[itex]\mathcal{F}\left\{ u(-t)e^{t} \right\} = \frac{1}{1 - j\omega}[/itex]

finally

[itex]\mathcal{F}\left\{ \int^{\infty}_{t}f(s)e^{t-s}ds\right\} = \frac{\mathcal{F}\left\{ f(t) \right\} }{1 - j\omega}[/itex]

This is great! I can't explain how helpful this has been! Thanks for everything!

1. What is the Fourier transform of an integral?

The Fourier transform of an integral is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time (or space) into a function of frequency (or wavenumber).

2. How is the Fourier transform of an integral calculated?

The Fourier transform of an integral is calculated using the Fourier transform formula, which involves integration over an infinite range.

3. What is the significance of the Fourier transform of an integral?

The Fourier transform of an integral is used in many areas of science, engineering, and mathematics to analyze and understand signals and functions in the frequency domain.

4. What is the difference between the Fourier transform and the Fourier transform of an integral?

The Fourier transform is used for functions that are defined over the entire real line, while the Fourier transform of an integral is used for functions that are defined by an integral over some range.

5. What are some applications of the Fourier transform of an integral?

The Fourier transform of an integral is used in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and quantum mechanics to analyze and manipulate signals and functions in the frequency domain. It is also used in the numerical solution of differential equations and in the study of heat transfer and fluid dynamics.