Choosing the Contour for the Cauchy Integral in Fourier Transform of Norms

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of the Fourier transform of a function with norm f(x). The function is generalized to x ∈ℝ, and its norm is defined as |x|. The user attempted to use Cauchy theorem and the contour integral, but it did not work. The function f(x) = 1/(1+|x|) is not holomorphic, but the integral can be rewritten as 2∫0∞ cos(wx)/(1+x) dx, which can be extended to an analytic function. The user discusses their attempts to use Cauchy's theorem with two different contours, but gets stuck with both.
emra1976

Homework Statement

Compute the Fourier transform of a function of norm f(\norm{x}).

Homework Equations

\mathbb{F}{\frac{1}{1+\norm{x}}

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt at using Cauchy theorem and the contour integral with the contour [(-R,R),(R,R+ip),(R+ip,-R+ip),(-R+ip,-R)] does not seem to work.

Physics news on Phys.org
emra1976 said:

Homework Statement

Compute the Fourier transform of a function of norm f(\norm{x}).

Homework Equations

\mathbb{F}{\frac{1}{1+\norm{x}}

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt at using Cauchy theorem and the contour integral with the contour [(-R,R),(R,R+ip),(R+ip,-R+ip),(-R+ip,-R)] does not seem to work.

Is x a scalar or a vector? If it is a scalar, do you mean |x| when you write norm(x)?

Yes, you are correct. While I need to generalise it to x\in\mathbb{R}^n I would like to start with the case in which

x\in \mathbb{R}

and

\norm{x}=\abs{x}

Emra1976, put ## or $$ tags around your tex (double characters on each end). You can check what it will look like by clicking the Go Advanced button and previewing your post.

emra1976 said:
Yes, you are correct. While I need to generalise it to x\in\mathbb{R}^n I would like to start with the case in which

x\in \mathbb{R}

and

\norm{x}=\abs{x}
To use LaTeX here at PF you need to put the right tags around your expressions, as in the following.

Inline LaTeX
Code:
##x\in \mathbb{R}##
or
[itex]x\in \mathbb{R}[/itex]

Standalone LaTeX (for lack of a better name for it)
Code:
$$x\in \mathbb{R}$$
or
[tex]x\in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

emra1976 said:

x\in \mathbb{R}

and

\norm{x}=\abs{x}
Alright. Let's just crank it out. Let ##f(x)=|x|##. Then, ##\displaystyle \mathcal{F}\left[f(x)\right](\xi)=\int\limits_{(-\infty,+\infty)}|x|e^{-2\pi i x\xi}~dx##. You tried the residue theorem, you said?

1) it should be $$f(x)=\frac{1}{1+\abs{x}}$$

2) I tried Cauchy theorem using the fact that $$f(z)=\frac{1}{1+\abs{z}}$$ is analytical. I tried both the rectangular contour $$([-R,R],[R,R+ip],[R+ip,-R+ip],[-R+ip,-R])$$ and the the countour of the semidisk centered on the origin with radius $$R$$.

emra1976 said:
1) it should be $$f(x)=\frac{1}{1+\abs{x}}$$

2) I tried Cauchy theorem using the fact that $$f(z)=\frac{1}{1+\abs{z}}$$ is analytical. I tried both the rectangular contour $$([-R,R],[R,R+ip],[R+ip,-R+ip],[-R+ip,-R])$$ and the the countour of the semidisk centered on the origin with radius $$R$$.

In TeX, just write |z|, not \abs(z).

The function z| is not an analytical function, so I don't think you can apply Cauchy directly.

Do you mean that $$\frac{1}{1+|z|}$$ is not analytical (used as homomorphic)?
If so, where are its poles?

emra1976 said:
Do you mean that $$\frac{1}{1+|z|}$$ is not analytical (used as homomorphic)?
If so, where are its poles?

No poles, but it fails to satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations, so is not holomorphic.

However, you can write
[tex] F(w) = \int_{R} \frac{e^{-iwx}}{1+|x|} \, dx = 2\int_0^{\infty} \frac{\cos(w x)}{1+x} \, dx,[/tex]
and then extend the latter integrand to
[tex] \frac{\cos(w z)}{1+z},[/tex]
which IS analytic.

Last edited:
Now, given
$$f(z)=\frac{cos(\omega z)}{1+\omega z}$$
how would you choose the contour for the Cauchy Integral? My two choices would be

1) the quarter disk in the top right quadrant of the complex plane
2) a rectangular contour in the top right quadrant of the complex plane

but I get stacked with both (1) and (2).

What is a Fourier Transform of Norms?

A Fourier Transform of Norms is a mathematical tool used to convert a function in the time domain into a function in the frequency domain. It decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies, allowing for the analysis of the individual frequency components.

What are the applications of Fourier Transform of Norms?

Fourier Transform of Norms has various applications in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and data analysis. It is used to filter out noise from signals, identify frequency components in a signal, and compress data without losing important information.

How does Fourier Transform of Norms differ from Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform of Norms is a variant of the Fourier Transform that is used specifically for functions with norm constraints. It is a more generalized version that takes into account the magnitude of the function in addition to the phase, unlike the traditional Fourier Transform which only considers the phase.

What are the limitations of Fourier Transform of Norms?

One of the limitations of Fourier Transform of Norms is that it is only applicable to functions with norm constraints. It cannot be used for functions that do not have a finite norm. Additionally, it assumes that the function is periodic, which may not always be the case in real-world applications.

How is Fourier Transform of Norms calculated?

Fourier Transform of Norms is calculated using the same formula as the traditional Fourier Transform, with the addition of the norm constraint. The integral is taken over the entire function and the resulting expression is a complex-valued function in the frequency domain.