1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Transform of propagators

1. Oct 1, 2013 #1
    I've been assigned the following homework:
    I have to compute the spectral density of a QFT and in order to do so I have to compute Fourier tranform of the following quantity (in Minkowsky signature, mostly minus)

[itex]\rho\left(p\right) = \int \frac{1}{\left(-x^2 + i \epsilon x_0\right)^{\Delta}} e^{i p \cdot x} d^4 x [/itex]

Using residual theorem I've been able to compute exactly the case for [itex]\Delta = 1[/itex] and it turns out to be [itex] \rho(p) \propto \delta(p^2) \theta(p_0) [/itex] .
    For the case [itex]\Delta \neq 1[/itex] it's a bit tricky but I managed to perform the integration over [itex]x_0[/itex] using the residual once again and I found ([itex] r^2 = x_i x^i [/itex])

[itex]\sum_{k=0}^{\Delta -1} {\Delta-1 \choose k} (i p_0)^k \frac{\Gamma(\Delta -1 - k)}{\Gamma(\Delta)^2} \frac{1}{(2 r)^{2 \Delta+1-k}} \left(e^{i p_0 r} + (-1)^{2 \Delta -1 - k} e^{-i p_0 r}\right)[/itex]

Probably something is wrong since when I perform the remaining integrations (in spherical coordinates) I do not recover the following result:

[itex] \rho\left(p\right) = \frac{\Delta -1}{4^{\Delta} \Gamma(\Delta)^2} \theta(p_0) \delta(p^2) (p^2)^{\Delta -2} [/itex]
    Any help would be great.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted