Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Transform of Rect fn

1. Apr 15, 2009 #1
    Hi all,

How is the fourier transform applied to non-periodic functions, such as the Rect function?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Jamie :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2009 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you are confusing Fourier series, which apply to periodic functions, and Fourier transforms, which apply to integrable (in some sense) functions.

4. Apr 16, 2009 #3
    OK, i can see why my post appeared to sound like that, but I know what the differnce is.

What i mean is, say, how would you show that the FT transform of {1} is a delta function??

Cheers

5. Apr 16, 2009 #4
    Let A be a ( large ) positive real number

The transform you specified will lead you to integrate exp( - i * w * t ) with t ranging from -A to A, and letting A approaching +∞. When A approaches +∞, this will give you a function similar to one of these :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_function#Representations_of_the_delta_function

I let you try the computation and identify which one corresponds to the Fourier transform of 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook