1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform of sin(x)

1. Nov 17, 2009 #1
    I apologise in advance, I don't know latex or any of those math-prettifiers, so this'll be fairly crude. I'll opt to write thing in words to avoid confuson where possible...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the exponetial fourier transform of the given f(x) and write f(x) as a fourier integral.

f(x) = sin(x), for |x|< pi/2, 0 for |x|> pi/2

2. Relevant equations

f(x)= integral from negative infinity to infinity of g(alpha)*e^(i*alpha*x) dalpha
    g(alpha)= 1/(2*pi) * integral from negative infinity to infinity of f(x) e^(-i*alpha*x) dx

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the above formula for g(alpha) and from a table of integrals the fact that integral sin(u)*e^(a*u)du = (e^(au))/((1+a^2))*(a*sin(u)-cos(u)), I eventually arrived at:

g(alpha) = (alpha*cos(alpha*pi/2))/(i*pi*(1-alpha^2))

Which can simply be stuck into the integral formula above to get the fourier integral.

I don't have much experiance with these though, and that seems like it might have an extra i term, or alpha term or something. Could someone check it for me?

I know that the same problem replaced with cos instead of sin gives a final result of
    g(alpha)=cos(alpha*pi/2)/(pi*(1-alpha^2)), so the same thing without an 1/i or alpha coefficient. The i term feels right (since based on eulers formula, i goes with sin), but I dunno about tht extra alpha term I got....

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?