Fourier Transform of x*f(x)

Your name] In summary, the poster is trying to find the Fourier transform of x*f(x) and has attempted to do so using integration by parts. However, there were issues with their attempts and a step-by-step guide was provided to properly perform the Fourier transform. The final result is -i dF/dw.
paxprobellum

Homework Statement

I'm trying to do the Fourier Transform of "x*f(x)". According to some web sites (http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=fourier transform), it is simply a "property of integration", but I've having some issues.

Homework Equations

I'm using the form:
1/2pi int ( x f(x) e ^ (iwx) dx )

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried doing it by parts, but I can't get it to work. My two attempts were:
1) u=f(x) and dV = x e^(iwx) dx
and
2) u=x*f(x) and dV = e^(iwx) dx

Using 1) I got -1/w^2 dF/dW
Using 2) I got (1/iw)[-int (e^(iwx) x f'(x) dx) - F(w)]

I know the answer is -i dF/dw (as it is in the Fourier transform table), but I can't seem to get there. =/

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. The Fourier transform of x*f(x) can indeed be derived using integration by parts, as you have attempted. However, there are some issues with your attempts that may have led to incorrect results. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to properly perform the Fourier transform of x*f(x):

1. Start with the integral 1/2pi int ( x f(x) e ^ (iwx) dx ).

2. Use integration by parts, with u=x and dV=f(x)e^(iwx)dx. This gives us:

1/2pi [x * F(x) e^(iwx)] - 1/2pi int (F(x) e^(iwx) dx), where F(x) is the Fourier transform of f(x).

3. Now, we need to solve the remaining integral, 1/2pi int (F(x) e^(iwx) dx). To do this, we can use the Fourier transform property e^(iwx) F(w). This means that the integral becomes:

1/2pi e^(iwx) F(w) dx

4. Plugging this back into our original integral, we get:

1/2pi [x * F(x) e^(iwx)] - 1/2pi e^(iwx) F(w) dx

5. Simplifying this further, we get:

1/2pi e^(iwx) [x * F(x) - F(w)]

6. Finally, taking the inverse Fourier transform of this expression, we get:

1/2pi int (e^(-iwx) [x * F(x) - F(w)] dx)

7. This simplifies to -i dF/dw, as expected.

I hope this helps you with your problem. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the Fourier Transform of x*f(x)?

The Fourier Transform of x*f(x) is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function, f(x), into its constituent frequencies. It is represented by the symbol F{x*f(x)} and is commonly used in signal processing and image analysis.

2. How is the Fourier Transform of x*f(x) calculated?

The Fourier Transform of x*f(x) is calculated using the following integral: F{x*f(x)} = ∫ x*f(x)e-2πixω dx, where ω is the frequency variable. This integral can be solved analytically or numerically using various mathematical techniques.

3. What is the physical interpretation of the Fourier Transform of x*f(x)?

The Fourier Transform of x*f(x) has a physical interpretation as a representation of the amplitudes and phases of the different sinusoidal components that make up the function f(x). It can also be thought of as a mapping of a function from the time domain to the frequency domain.

4. What are some applications of the Fourier Transform of x*f(x)?

The Fourier Transform of x*f(x) has a wide range of applications in various fields including signal processing, image analysis, and quantum mechanics. It is used in tasks such as filtering, pattern recognition, and spectral analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to the Fourier Transform of x*f(x)?

One limitation of the Fourier Transform of x*f(x) is that it assumes a function is periodic, which is not always the case in real-world applications. It also has limited effectiveness in analyzing functions with sharp, discontinuous changes or singularities.