1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform operators

1. Dec 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The exercise is a) in the attached trial. I have attached my attempt at a solution, but there are some issues. First of all: Isn't the example result wrong? As I demonstrate you get a delta function which yields the sum I have written (as far as I can see), not the sum written in the trial. Secondly, what am I supposed to do in the sum for H_el, where I have a double-sum of position coordinates. I would like to somehow get a delta function, but the exponential is zero whenever k1*Ri=k2*Rj, which I can't translate into a delta function.
    Also I am very confused why the fourier series in position variables is given for x and p when clearly they enter in the original hamiltonian as creation and anihillation operators for position coordinates.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Attached

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted