Fourier transform operators

In summary, the poster has shared their attempt at solving an exercise and raised questions about the given solution. They have pointed out discrepancies in the example result and asked for clarification on the sum for H_el. They also expressed confusion about the use of Fourier series in position and momentum variables. The responder acknowledges the effort put into the attempt and offers suggestions for double-checking calculations and reaching out to the instructor for clarification. They also provide an explanation for simplifying the double sum using the delta function and clarify the difference between position and momentum operators and creation and annihilation operators.
aaaa202

Homework Statement

The exercise is a) in the attached trial. I have attached my attempt at a solution, but there are some issues. First of all: Isn't the example result wrong? As I demonstrate you get a delta function which yields the sum I have written (as far as I can see), not the sum written in the trial. Secondly, what am I supposed to do in the sum for H_el, where I have a double-sum of position coordinates. I would like to somehow get a delta function, but the exponential is zero whenever k1*Ri=k2*Rj, which I can't translate into a delta function.
Also I am very confused why the Fourier series in position variables is given for x and p when clearly they enter in the original hamiltonian as creation and anihillation operators for position coordinates.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached

Attachments

• Trial3.pdf
    130 KB · Views: 260
  • Aflevering3.pdf
    89.8 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
is my attempt at a solution
Thank you for your post and for sharing your attempt at solving the exercise. I can see that you have put a lot of effort into it and have raised some valid questions.

Firstly, regarding the example result, you are correct that it does not match the sum you have written. This could be due to a mistake in the given solution or a misunderstanding of the problem. I suggest double-checking your calculations and possibly reaching out to the instructor for clarification.

Secondly, for the sum of H_el, it is important to note that the exponential term is only zero when k1*Ri=k2*Rj AND when k1=k2. In this case, you can use the identity that the delta function is equal to 1 when its argument is 0, and 0 otherwise. So you can rewrite the double sum as a single sum over k1 and use the delta function to simplify the expression.

Finally, I understand your confusion about the Fourier series. It is important to note that the position and momentum operators are expressed in terms of the creation and annihilation operators, but they are not the same. The Fourier series in position and momentum variables are used to express the Hamiltonian in a more convenient form for solving the problem.

I hope this helps clarify some of your doubts. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to ask for further clarification if needed.
Scientist

1. What is a Fourier transform operator?

A Fourier transform operator is a mathematical tool used to decompose a signal (a function of time) into its constituent frequencies. It is used in various fields such as signal processing, image processing, and quantum mechanics.

2. How does a Fourier transform operator work?

A Fourier transform operator works by taking a signal in the time domain and transforming it into the frequency domain. This is done by decomposing the signal into a sum of sinusoidal functions with different frequencies, amplitudes, and phases.

3. What are the applications of Fourier transform operators?

Fourier transform operators have many applications in different fields. They are commonly used in signal and image processing for tasks such as filtering, compression, and feature extraction. They are also used in quantum mechanics to analyze the wave-like behavior of particles.

4. What is the relationship between Fourier transform operators and the Fourier series?

The Fourier transform operator is a continuous version of the discrete Fourier series. While the Fourier series decomposes a periodic signal into a sum of discrete frequencies, the Fourier transform operator can be applied to non-periodic signals and provides a continuous spectrum of frequencies.

5. Are there any limitations of Fourier transform operators?

Yes, there are some limitations to Fourier transform operators. One limitation is that they assume the signal is infinite and continuous, which is not always the case in real-world applications. Additionally, they can only provide information about the frequency content of a signal, not its time information.