1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform problem

1. Dec 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Compute the integral
    [tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\sin(a\xi)}{(1+i\xi)^3\xi}d \xi[/tex]

by using Parseval's formula for Fourier transform
    [tex] <\overbrace{f}^{\wedge},\overbrace{g}^{\wedge}>=2 \pi<f,g>[/tex]
    where [tex] \wedge[/tex] means the Fourier transform of a function

3. The attempt at a solution

Using Parseval's formula we can rewrite the integral as

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\sin(a\xi)}{(1+i\xi)^3\xi}d \xi = \Bigl<\overbrace{\frac{\sin(a\xi)}{\xi}}^{\mathcal{F}},\overbrace{\frac{1}{(1+i\xi)^3}}^{\mathcal{F}}\Bigr>[/tex]

with their inversions as follows

[tex] \Bigl(\frac{\sin(a \xi)}{\xi}\Bigr)^{\wedge \wedge }=\frac{1}{2} \chi_{[-a,a]}(x)[/tex] by the table 2 in Folland p.223

and the other one
    [tex] \Bigl(\frac{2}{(i \xi+1)^3}\Bigr)^{\wedge \wedge}=\frac{1}{2}x^2e^{-x}[/tex]

which I calculated myslef as follows

we let [tex] g(x)= e^{-x}[/tex] and then the Fourier transform of g(x) is [tex]\mathcal{F}[g(x)]= \frac{1}{1+i \xi}[/tex]

then using formula in Folland again table 2 [tex] \mathcal{F}[xf(x)]=i(\overbrace{f}^{\wedge})^{'})(\xi)[/tex]

and applying it to our function [tex] x^2e^{-x}[/tex]
    we get
    [tex] \mathcal{F}[x^2e^{-x}]=i(\overbrace{f}^{\wedge})^{''})(\xi)=\frac{2}{(1+i \xi)^3}[/tex]

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

going back to the integral and plugging in everything in the Parseval's formula gives me smth like this

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\sin(a\xi)}{(1+i\xi)^3\xi}d \xi = \Bigl<\overbrace{\frac{\sin(a\xi)}{\xi}}^{\mathcal{F}},\overbrace{\frac{1}{(1+i\xi)^3}}^{\mathcal{F}}\Bigr>=2 \pi \Bigl<\frac{1}{2} \chi_{[-a,a]}, \frac{1}{2}x^2e^{-x}\Bigr>[/tex]

in the solution given by our teacher we find

[tex] \frac{1}{4}<f^{\wedge}, g^{\wedge}>= \frac{\pi}{2}<f,g>[/tex]
    how did he get this [tex]\frac{1}{4}[/tex] on the left hand side and then [tex] \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] on the right hand side??

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

He is "norming" the inner product so that the inner product of a "basis vector" with itself is 1.

4. Dec 9, 2011 #3
    Could you elaborate it a little bit more...I am very new to this...

5. Dec 9, 2011 #4
    Of course it is correct, now I see it. The only thing that is done here is

[tex] \Bigl<\frac{\sin(a\xi}{\xi},\frac{1}{(1+i \xi)^3}\Bigr>=2 \pi \Bigl<\frac{1}{2}\chi_{[-a,a]}, \frac{1}{2}x^2e^{-x}\Bigr>[/tex]
    so multiplying everything we simply get
    [tex]*2 \pi \cdot \frac{1}{4}\int_{0}^{a}x^2e^{-x}dx[/tex] like in the solution

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook