What are the Fourier transform properties for various functions?

In summary: V(\nu) = V^*(\nu)##? In this case we need to determine if ##V(\nu)## is real (so that ##V(\nu) = V^*(\nu)##)?So, in summary, we can determine if ##v(x)## is even/odd, real/imaginary by looking at the sketches in post #9. If we want to determine if ##V(\nu)## is Hermitian/anti-Hermitian, we need to determine if ##V(\nu) = V^*(\nu)##. We can also use the scaling property to find the FT of ##v(2x)##, the symmetry property to
roam

Homework Statement

A certain function ##v(x)## has Fourier transform ##V(\nu)##. The plot of the function is shown in the figure attached below.

For each of these functions give their Fourier transform in terms of ##V(\nu)##. And also state if the FT is Hermitian/anti-Hermitian, even/odd, imaginary/real.

(a) ##v(2x)##

(b) ##v(x)-v(-x)##

(c) ##v(x+2)+v(x-2)##

Homework Equations

Properties of FT.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) [/B]Using the scaling property of the Fourier transform:

$$FT \Big[ v(2x) \Big] = \frac{1}{|2|} V(\frac{\nu}{2})$$

Now to determine whether this is Hermitian/anti-Hermitian, even/odd, imaginary/real, I have made a table that summarizes the properties (e.g. if a function f if is real F is Hermitian, etc.):

2016_03_20_213833.jpg

The plot for v(x) looks odd so V(ν) has to be odd. But since we don't have an explicit expression for ##v(x)##, how can we determine if ##v(2x)## is even/odd? Likewise how do we know if his function is real? :confused:

(b) Using the symmetry property we find:

$$FT \Big[ v(x)-v(-x) \Big] = V(\nu) - V(-\nu)$$

I think there is a property such that that ##F(-\nu)=F^*(\nu)## (* is the complex conjugate). I am not sure if this is applicable in this case, but if so we have:

$$V(\nu) - V^*(\nu) \implies 2 j \ Im[V(\nu)]$$.

The last step comes from the fact that for any complex number ##z## we have ##z-z^* = 2j \ Im(z)##. I'm not sure how to further write down the FT for this function.

(c) I think maybe we can use the "Interference" property of the FT:

$$f(t-t_0) + f(t+t_0) \longleftrightarrow 2 \ cos (2 \pi \nu t_0) F(\nu)$$

So we find the equation ##2 \ cos (4 \pi \nu) V(\nu).## Is that okay, or do I need to further develop this equation?

Just as in part (a) and (b), I am not sure how to determine if the function is even/odd, real/imaginary. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 2016-03-20_220633.jpg
    2016-03-20_220633.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 378
Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:
The plot for v(x) looks odd
No, it does not. How come you arrive at this conclusion? I think, even if the wording of the question asks you to decided between any a pair of options, there is a chance that the answer does not belong to either options. In this case, one can just say that it's neither odd nor even, or neither real nor imaginary.
roam said:
(b) I think there is a property such that that ##F(-\nu)=F^*(\nu)##
Yes, there is such a property, and you are right in using it for this part of the problem. But you have to know why you can use it. Hint: look for the definition of a Hermitian/anti-Hermitian functions.

Last edited:
Likes roam
blue_leaf77 said:
No, it does not. How come you arrive at this conclusion? I think, even if the wording of the question asks you to decided between any a pair of options, there is a chance that the answer does not belong to either options. In this case, one can just say that it's neither odd nor even, or neither real nor imaginary.

My mistake, I think it is neither even nor odd. It is not even as it is not symmetric about the y-axis, and not odd since it doesn't appear to satisfy the definition of odd function (##f(x) = - f(x)##). So, this function's FT is also neither even nor odd?

But (a), (b), and (c) are not ##v(x)##, so they could be even/odd. If I want to sketch these three functions where do I start?

Because I believe we need sketches in order to determine if they are even/odd. But the difficulty is that we don't have an explicit expression for the function so I would not be able to plot them using Matlab or Python.

Yes, there is such a property, and you are right in using it for this part of the problem. But you have to know why you can use it. Hint: look for the definition of a Hermitian/anti-Hermitian functions.

From definition ##V(\nu)## is Hermitian means that ##V(\nu) = V^* (\nu)##, and it is anti-Hermitian if ##V(\nu)=-V(-\nu)##.

So why are we justified to use this property? (that was my question)

We don't know what ##V(\nu)## or ##V^*(\nu)## are, so I am not sure how to check if the property holds. But if we knew what these two are, we could also determine whether the function is real and even (i.e. ##V(\nu) = V^* (\nu)##).

roam said:
But (a), (b), and (c) are not v(x)v(x), so they could be even/odd.
In particular for a), do you think a scaling can alter the parity of a function?
roam said:
If I want to sketch these three functions where do I start?
Start from the sketch of ##v(x)## you already have.
roam said:
But the difficulty is that we don't have an explicit expression for the function so I would not be able to plot them using Matlab or Python.
Sketches and the table you provided in post #1 is enough.
roam said:
From definition ##V(\nu)## is Hermitian means that ##V(\nu) = V^* (\nu)##, and it is anti-Hermitian if ##V(\nu)=-V(-\nu)##.
No, those are not the definitions of Hermitian and anti-Hermitian functions.
roam said:
So why are we justified to use this property? (that was my question)
What do you think about the reality of ##v(x)##? Is it complex, purely real, or purely imaginary?
roam said:
We don't know what ##V(\nu)## or ##V^*(\nu)## are,
One more time I will say this, the table you have in your first post and the sketch of the functions in (a), (b), and (c) are all what you need.

Likes roam
blue_leaf77 said:
Start from the sketch of ##v(x)## you already have.

Here are the sketches I made for the different cases:

graphs.jpg

Hopefully these are correct.

So ##v(2x)## and ##v(x+2)+v(x-2)## are neither even nor odd. But ##v(x)-v(-x)## is odd, and ##v(x)+v(-x)## is even.

blue_leaf77 said:
In particular for a), do you think a scaling can alter the parity of a function?

No, it can't.

What do you think about the reality of ##v(x)##? Is it complex, purely real, or purely imaginary?

I don't understand this part. We don't have an expression for ##v(x)##. So how can we say if it is real or imaginary? :confused:

No, those are not the definitions of Hermitian and anti-Hermitian functions.

Thank you for the link. The link states that ##f## is Hermitian iff Re(f) is an even function. So basically we need to determine if the functions we sketched in each case are real or imaginary? Therefore we are justified in using ##F(- \nu) = F^*(\nu)## iff the function is Hermitian?

roam said:
Hopefully these are correct.
Yes, your pictures are correct.
roam said:
I don't understand this part. We don't have an expression for v(x)v(x)v(x). So how can we say if it is real or imaginary?
The answer is implied in the fact that you are provided a plot of ##v(x)##. Should you be given a plot of a complex function, it must display two components of the function to be able to describe it completely: the real and imaginary parts or the magnitude and phase. But in this problem, you are only given a single plot and you are not told whether it's purely real or purely imaginary. What do you think, given that condition?
roam said:
So basically we need to determine if the functions we sketched in each case are real or imaginary?
Yes.
roam said:
Therefore we are justified in using F(−ν)=F∗(ν)F(−ν)=F∗(ν)F(- \nu) = F^*(\nu) iff the function is Hermitian?
Yes.

Likes roam
Thank you very much for the reply. I think we can assume that ##v(x)## and therefore all three functions in question are purely real (since we are provided only with a single plot). So from the table in my post #1, the Fourier transform for all three functions would be Hermitian. Is that correct?

roam said:
I think we can assume that v(x)v(x)v(x) and therefore all three functions in question are purely real
Yes.
roam said:
So from the table in my post #1, the Fourier transform for all three functions would be Hermitian.
Yes, all of the transforms are Hermitian.

Likes roam
Thank you very much for your help.

1. What is the Fourier Transform Properties?

The Fourier Transform Properties are a set of mathematical relationships that describe the behavior of the Fourier Transform, a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies.

2. What are the main properties of the Fourier Transform?

The main properties of the Fourier Transform include linearity, time and frequency shifting, scaling, convolution, and symmetry.

3. How does linearity affect the Fourier Transform?

The linearity property of the Fourier Transform states that the transform of a sum of two functions is equal to the sum of the individual transforms of each function. In other words, the Fourier Transform is a linear operation.

4. What is the time and frequency shifting property of the Fourier Transform?

The time and frequency shifting property of the Fourier Transform states that shifting a function in the time domain by a certain amount corresponds to multiplying its Fourier Transform by a complex exponential with the same amount of frequency shift.

5. How does the symmetry property of the Fourier Transform work?

The symmetry property of the Fourier Transform states that if a function is real-valued, its Fourier Transform will have conjugate symmetry. This means that the real part of the transform is even and the imaginary part is odd.