Why is My TI-89 Not Evaluating the Fourier Transform Correctly?

In summary, the TI-89 calculator may encounter an error when evaluating the Fourier transform if it is not in radian mode. This can be fixed by changing the units to radians in the mode menu. It is important to keep this in mind for future applications.
Samuelcomeau
TL;DR Summary
My TI-89 is not evaluating the Fourier transform? Change angle to radians and retry.
Summary:: My TI-89 is not evaluating the Fourier transform? Change angle to radians and retry.

Hello, I discovered this forum trying to answer the question: Why is my TI-89 not properly evaluating the Fourier transform? I found no answer, by chance I experimented and found that the calculator must be in radian mode to make proper use of Eulers identity.
So if Integral(x*e^(-i*2*pi*f*t),t) gives the error: Domain Error. Then change your units to radians in the mode menu. Have a nice day.

Computer science news on Phys.org
:welcome: Samuel. Good to have you here!

Samuelcomeau said:
Summary:: My TI-89 is not evaluating the Fourier transform? Change angle to radians and retry.

Integral(x*e^(-i*2*pi*f*t),t) gives the error: Domain Error.
Yeah, that "2*pi" term is a giveaway that it thinks in radians. Keep that in mind for future applications. :wink:

Cheers,
Tom

1. What is a Fourier Transform and why is it useful?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used to break down a signal into its individual frequency components. It is useful in signal processing and data analysis as it allows for easier analysis and understanding of complex signals.

2. How do I perform a Fourier Transform on the TI-89 calculator?

To perform a Fourier Transform on the TI-89 calculator, you will need to use the built-in Fourier Transform function. First, enter the data points of your signal into a list. Then, navigate to the "FFT(" function, input the list name, and press enter. The resulting output will be the Fourier Transform of your signal.

3. Can the TI-89 handle complex Fourier Transforms?

Yes, the TI-89 calculator is capable of handling complex Fourier Transforms. Simply use the "CFFT(" function instead of "FFT(" when inputting your data points.

4. Are there any limitations to using the TI-89 for Fourier Transforms?

While the TI-89 calculator is a powerful tool for performing Fourier Transforms, it does have some limitations. It is limited in the number of data points it can handle and may not be suitable for very large datasets. Additionally, it may not have all the advanced features and capabilities of more specialized software.

5. Can I visualize the Fourier Transform results on the TI-89?

Yes, the TI-89 calculator has a built-in graphing function that allows you to visualize the results of your Fourier Transform. After performing the transform, simply use the "Plot(" function to graph the output. This can help in understanding and interpreting the frequency components of your signal.