1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Transform

1. Sep 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am supposed to find the Fourier Transform of the following:

suppose t(subu) is a translation of the function f by u, so that f*t(subu) = f(t-u).
    suppose also that 1 means denotes a characteristic function so that the characteristic function has the value 1 from -T to T and 0 everywhere else.

1. f=t(subu)*1.

Would I evaluate the Fourier Transform with f = 1 from (-T+u) to T. My reasoning would be that since 1 means that f has value from -T to T, but then f is translated by u, so that you would need to add u to -T for f to have a value?

2. suppose that H is the heaviside function that takes the value of 1 from 0 to inf.

f = t(subu)*1*H.

would I evaluate the Fourier Transform from u to T? My reasoning is that because of H, f can only have a value from 0 to inf, but that is shifted by u, so you need to evaluate it from u to inf.

3. f = 1*t(subu)*H

would I get the same answer as 2?

Thanks very much.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?