Why is Fourier Integral Meaningless for f(x)=A*cos(ax)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of Fourier integrals for a sinusoidal function and the justification for using delta functions. It also mentions resources for understanding Fourier transforms and a question regarding the application of FFT on non-uniform sampling.
caduceus
I couldn't understand that why the Fourier integral is meaningless for f(x)=A*cos(ax) ?

Any comments will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
|f(x)| is not integrable over (-oo,oo). so the Fourier integral cannot be properly defined.

caduceus said:
I couldn't understand that why the Fourier integral is meaningless for f(x)=A*cos(ax) ?

Because that is a sinusoidal function. What is there to analyze?

You want to find the sinusoidal functions that make up a non sinusoidal function.

Oh, I guess I can see the point now. You mean square integrability. That is why I should use Delta function. Thank you.

Prof Brad Osgood has some excellent Fourier transform lectures on iTunesU
(The Fourier Transform and its Applications).

In particular, there's a few lectures (~lectures 10-14 I think) on distributions and Schwartz functions that help show how Fourier transforms of sines, exponentials, deltas, ... can be better justified. Suprisingly (to me after having seen and given up trying to understand Functional analysis), the basics required for application are not actually all that difficult, mostly requiring a change in approach, and an extra level of indirection.

Some lecture notes to go with the lectures can be found here:

http://www.stanford.edu/class/ee261/book/all.pdf

(chapter 4 covers distributions).

Last edited by a moderator:
caduceus said:

The Fourier integral gives two delta functions. That is good enough for physicists.

well i am a computer guy :) so i don't know...ok here is my question
following are two equations

$fk(k1) = \frac{1}{nj} \sum_{j=1}^{nj} c_j(j) \exp (i k1 x_j(j))$\\

$where \frac {-ms}{2} <k1 < \frac{ms-1}{2}$

a) what is k1
b) what is x_j(j)
c) what is c_j(j)

Is this a forward transform

d) What will be the inverse transform, and is inverse tranform means we are evaluating Fourier series

that's not really readable as is. Can you edit with [ tex ] [ / tex ] (no spaces), replacing the dollar signs.

I am experimenting with non uniform sampling, I applied Fast Fourier transform on the non uniform sampling in MATLAB it has given me some results. I can't understand how FFT runs on non uniform sampling. What i am getting after applying FFT on Non uniform samples is what...is it a errorfull value if yes then why

1. Why is the Fourier integral meaningless for f(x)=A*cos(ax)?

The Fourier integral is a mathematical tool used to represent any periodic function as a combination of sine and cosine functions. However, for a function like f(x)=A*cos(ax), which is already a cosine function, the Fourier integral becomes meaningless as it is essentially trying to represent the function as a combination of itself.

2. Can the Fourier integral be used for any periodic function?

Yes, the Fourier integral can be used for any periodic function as it breaks down the function into its individual frequency components. However, for functions that are already in the form of a single frequency component, like f(x)=A*cos(ax), the Fourier integral is not necessary.

3. What is the significance of the Fourier integral in mathematics?

The Fourier integral is an important mathematical tool that allows us to decompose complex functions into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and understand them. It has applications in various fields such as signal processing, image reconstruction, and quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any other cases where the Fourier integral is meaningless?

Yes, the Fourier integral is also meaningless for functions that are not periodic, as it relies on the periodicity of the function to break it down into frequency components. It is also not applicable for functions that do not have a finite energy, such as the Dirac delta function.

5. Is there an alternative to using the Fourier integral for functions like f(x)=A*cos(ax)?

Yes, for functions that are already in the form of a single frequency component, we can use a simpler tool called the Fourier series. This involves representing the function as a sum of harmonically related sine and cosine functions, rather than integrating it over all frequencies as in the Fourier integral.