Fourier Transform: Solving f(x) Homework Statement

In summary, the conversation is about finding the exponential Fourier transform of a given function and writing it as a Fourier integral. The person is familiar with the Fourier transform and equations but doesn't know where to start and asks for help. The response explains how to use the known definition of the Fourier transform to solve the problem.
phrygian

Homework Statement

f(x) = {-1, -pi<x<0 ; 1, 0<x<pi ; 0, |x|>pi}

Find the exponential Fourier transform of the given f(x) and write f(x) as a Fourier integral.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the equations for the Fourier transforms and I know how to find the Fourier series for f(x) but I have no idea where to start this one, my book is very confusing. Can someone help me start this?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of the Fourier transform you are using?

The Fourier transform I am familar with is
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{x=-\infty}^\infty f(x)e^{-isx}dx[/tex]
If that is what you know, just go ahead and do the integration:
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\left(-\int_{-\pi}^0 e^{-isx}dx+ \int_0^\pi e^{-isx}dx\right)[/tex]

1. What is the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a function into its constituent frequencies. It converts a function from its original domain (usually time or space) to a representation in the frequency domain.

2. How is the Fourier Transform used to solve f(x) homework problems?

The Fourier Transform can be used to solve f(x) homework problems by converting the function into its frequency components. This allows for easier analysis and manipulation of the function, making it easier to solve problems related to the function.

3. What is the difference between the Fourier Transform and the Inverse Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform converts a function from the time or space domain to the frequency domain, while the Inverse Fourier Transform converts a function from the frequency domain back to the time or space domain. They are essentially inverse operations of each other.

4. What are some real-life applications of the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform has many applications in various fields, such as signal processing, image analysis, and data compression. It is also used in audio and video technology, medical imaging, and radar and sonar systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Fourier Transform?

While the Fourier Transform is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to functions that are continuous and have a finite number of discontinuities. It also assumes that the function is periodic, which may not always be the case in real-life situations.