Solve Integral with Fourier Transform - Get Help Now!

In summary, the given conversation is about evaluating the integral from zero to infinite of ((xcos(x)-sin(x))/x^3)cos(x/2)dx using the Fourier Transform method or the Dirichlet Integral method. The first method involves making a substitution and using double angle formulas, while the second method requires using the Fourier Transform to solve the given integral.
doublemint
Hello!
Can someone help me with this.
Evaluate:
the integral from zero to infinite of ((xcos(x)-sin(x))/x^3)cos(x/2)dx

I think it has to do with Fouriers Transform but I am just stuck.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Make a substitution [tex]x = 2u[/tex]. Use the double angle formulas to expand [tex]\sin 2u[/tex] and [tex]\cos 2u[/tex]. The remaining integrals can be evaluated in the same manner as the Dirichlet integral: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirichlet_integral

Thanks for the response fzero. There is one problem I have, my class has not covered the Dirichlet Integrals..Is there another method of solving this integral?

doublemint said:
Thanks for the response fzero. There is one problem I have, my class has not covered the Dirichlet Integrals..Is there another method of solving this integral?

It doesn't matter whether you covered them or not. I linked you to that page because it shows you how to evaluate them. Adapt the techniques to the integrals you have to do or find another way to do them.

doublemint said:
You could formally take the Fourier Transform. Let:

[tex]\mathcal{F}\left\{f(x)\right\}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi }}\int _{-\infty }^{\infty }f(t)e^{i\omega t}dt[/tex]and suppose that we are given:

[tex]
\mathcal{F}\left\{\frac{x\cos(x)-\sin(x)}{x^3}\right\}=\frac{1}{4} \sqrt{\frac{\pi }{2}} \left(-1+w^2\right) (\text{Sign}[1-w]+\text{Sign}[1+w])[/tex]

Where Sign(x) is either -1,0 or 1 depending on x being negative, zero, or positive. Can you now solve your integral?

Last edited:

1. What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies. It is widely used in signal processing, image processing, and other scientific fields.

2. How does a Fourier transform help solve integrals?

A Fourier transform can convert a function from the time or spatial domain into the frequency domain, where integration is often easier to perform. This can be useful in solving certain types of integrals, particularly those involving periodic functions.

3. Can a Fourier transform solve any type of integral?

No, a Fourier transform is best suited for integrals involving periodic functions. It may not be effective for solving integrals with non-periodic or discontinuous functions.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Fourier transform to solve integrals?

One limitation is that the function must be integrable, meaning it must have a finite area under the curve. Additionally, the function must be continuous and well-behaved in order for the Fourier transform to accurately represent its frequencies.

5. Are there any tips for using a Fourier transform to solve integrals?

It can be helpful to choose the right type of Fourier transform for the specific integral problem, such as the discrete Fourier transform or the fast Fourier transform. Also, understanding the properties of the Fourier transform, such as linearity and shift invariance, can aid in solving integrals more efficiently.