Finding Fourier Transform for x(t): A Math Student's Query

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Fourier transform of the function x(t) = θ(t-t1) - θ(t-t2) and the confusion and difficulty the speaker is facing in doing so. The solution is to integrate the function directly, which the speaker is able to do with the help provided.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In an assignment, I've been given a function:

[tex] x(t) = \theta(t-t_1) - \theta(t-t_2) [/tex]

Assume [itex] t_2 > t_1 [/itex]

and we are asked to find the Fourier transform. So I wrote down:

[tex] x(\omega) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{e^{-i\omega t} [\theta(t-t_1) - \theta(t-t_2)] dt} [/tex]

I know that the function given is the heaviside step function. Its derivative is the dirac delta function, and it is itself the derivative of the ramp function. But I just found this stuff out by looking online. We've learned neither convolution nor Fourier transform in math class, yet somehow this physics prof expects us to do it. Can someone at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your integrand is zero everywhere except in the interval from t1 to t2 - integrate it directly!

Ok, I feel stupid! :rofl:

Just to see if I'm understanding you correctly, x(t) can be broken down as follows:

x(t) = 0 - 0 for t < t1

x(t) = 1 - 0 for t1 < t < t2

x(t) = 1 - 1 for t > t2

This is just the first statement in your post.

So the integral reduces to:

[tex] x(\omega) = \int_{t_1}^{t_2}{e^{-i\omega t}dt} [/tex]

Am I right? The help was much appreciated!

You got it - WTG!

1. What is the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a signal or function into its individual frequency components. It allows us to analyze the frequency content of a signal and can be used in many fields, including mathematics, physics, engineering, and signal processing.

2. Why is the Fourier Transform important?

The Fourier Transform is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a signal in the frequency domain. This allows us to identify important features and patterns in a signal that may not be apparent in the original time domain. It also has many practical applications, such as in image and audio processing, telecommunications, and data compression.

3. How do you find the Fourier Transform for a function?

To find the Fourier Transform for a function, you need to apply the Fourier Transform formula, which involves integrating the function over all time and multiplying it by a complex exponential. This can be a complex process, but there are many resources available, such as software programs and online calculators, that can help with the calculations.

4. What is the relationship between the Fourier Transform and the Inverse Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform and the Inverse Fourier Transform are closely related. The Fourier Transform converts a function from the time domain to the frequency domain, while the Inverse Fourier Transform converts it back from the frequency domain to the time domain. They are essentially inverse operations of each other, and together, they form the Fourier Transform pair.

5. How is the Fourier Transform used in practical applications?

The Fourier Transform has many practical applications in various fields. In signal processing, it is used for filtering, noise reduction, and feature extraction. In image and audio processing, it is used for compression, enhancement, and analysis. It is also used in telecommunications, radar systems, and medical imaging. Additionally, the Fourier Transform has applications in solving differential equations and in theoretical physics, such as quantum mechanics.