• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Fourier Transform

• Thread starter roldy
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I need to determine the first three terms in the Fourier series pictured in the attachment.
Did I define the peace-wise functions correctly?

I'm re-posting this with the tex code instead of the attached document.

Homework Equations

[tex]
a_o=\frac{1}{2L}\int_{-L}^Lf(t)dt
[/tex]

[tex]
a_n=\frac{1}{L}\int_{-L}^Lf(t)cos\left(\frac{n\pi{t}}{L}\right)dt
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The plot of the series is symmetric, so therefore I am only going to find what [tex]a_o[/tex] and [tex]a_n[/tex].

[tex]
a_o=\frac{2}{3T} \left[\int_\frac{-3T}{4}^\frac{-T}{4}(-1)dt+\int_\frac{-T}{4}^\frac{T}{4}(1)dt+\int_\frac{T}{4}^\frac{3T}{4}(-1)dt\right]
[/tex]
[tex]
=\frac{2}{3T}\left[-\left(-T/4-(-3T/4)\right)+\left(T/4-(-T/4)\right)+\left(3T/4-T/4\right)\right]

=\frac{2}{3T}\left(T/4-3T/4+T/4+T/4+3T/4-T/4\right)=1/3
[/tex]

[tex]
a_n=\frac{4}{3T}\left[\int_\frac{-3T}{4}^\frac{-T}{4}(-1)cos\left(\frac{n\pi{t}}{3T/4}\right)dt+\int_\frac{-T}{4}^\frac{T}{4}(1)cos\left(\frac{n\pi{t}}{3T/4}\right)dt+\int_\frac{T}{4}^\frac{3T}{4}(-1)cos\left(\frac{n\pi{t}}{3T/4}\right)dt\right]
[/tex]

[tex]
=\frac{4}{3T}\left[\left[-sin\left(\frac{n\pi{\left(-T/4\right)}}{3T/4}\right)+sin\left(\frac{n\pi{\left(-3T/4\right)}}{3T/4}\right)\right]\frac{3T}{4n\pi}+\left[sin\left(\frac{n\pi{\left(T/4\right)}}{3T/4}\right)-sin\left(\frac{n\pi{\left(-T/4\right)}}{3T/4}\right)\right]\frac{3T}{4n\pi}
[/tex]
[tex]
-\left[sin\left(\frac{n\pi{\left(3T/4\right)}}{3T/4}\right)-sin\left(\frac{n\pi{\left(T/4\right)}}{3T/4}\right)\right]\frac{3T}{4n\pi}
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{1}{n\pi}\left[\left[-sin\left(\frac{-n\pi}{3}\right)+sin\left(-n\pi\right)\right]+\left[sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{3}\right)-sin\left(\frac{-n\pi}{3}\right)\right]-\left[sin\left(n\pi\right)-sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{3}\right)\right]\right]
[/tex]

Distributing the signs through and simplifying:

[tex]
\frac{1}{n\pi}\left[4sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{3}\right)-2sin\left(n\pi\right)\right]
[/tex]

So for n=1,2,3 I get

[tex]
a_1=\frac{2\sqrt{3}}{2\pi}
[/tex]

[tex]
a_2=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2\pi}
[/tex]

[tex]
a_3=0
[/tex]

Answers and Replies

lanedance
Homework Helper
What is f?

What is f?
It's not f. It's f(t), meaning f of t. If you look at the attached picture I came up with f(t) on three intervals. I'm not sure if they are correct. They look correct to me.

lanedance
Homework Helper
yeah i get its f(t) but can't see any attached pic? pretty important part of the problem

Sorry about that. For some reason it didn't attach. Here's another try at it.

Attachments

lanedance
Homework Helper
ok, so why integrate over more that a period?

3T/4 - (-3T/4) = 3T/2

I think that's where I might of made the mistake. I think I should of done it from -T/4 to 3T/4.

lanedance
Homework Helper
That sounds better... Note that the integral over sin(tnpi/T) would be non zero over that interval as well, you could try your new interval on a sin as a check