Fourier Transform: Find Without Integration

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Fourier transform of a given equation without using integration. The equation includes a Fourier series formula and a frequency shift term. The conversation also touches on the application of the Euler equation and the integral of an impulse function.
skan
hi ,

the question is to find the Fourier transform of the following eqn without using integration

d(t)= [c(-1.5t)]exp(jwat)

where
c(t)= Ao + E(Sumation)An*cos(nwot) + Bn sin(nwot) [fourier series formula]

I knwo to find the FT of the above Fourier series. But why is exp(jwat)
the frequency shift and why shud we shift by wa.

Thanks,
skan

Physics news on Phys.org
Please don't cross/double post.

I'm assuming that:
[tex]j=\sqrt{-1}[/tex]
since you're a phyicist.

Then if you apply the euler equation:
[tex]e^{j\theta}=\cos \theta + j \sin \theta[/tex]

you should see how the exponent affects the frequency.

Sorry for the double post.

1.Thanks but I take the FT of c(t) first and then I shift all the impulse functions by wa.
can someone please explain why as i don't understand why this is done this way.

2.Also I thought that the Integral of an impulse function is 1, but here its says that the integral of a impulse function is a unit step function.

thanks

I mean I read in my notes that the integral of a impulse function is a unit step function

1. What is the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a signal or function into its constituent frequencies. It allows us to analyze and understand the frequency components of a signal, which is useful in many scientific and engineering applications.

2. How is the Fourier Transform different from the Fourier Series?

The Fourier Transform is a continuous function that operates on continuous signals, whereas the Fourier Series is a discrete function that operates on periodic signals. The Fourier Transform can be thought of as a generalization of the Fourier Series for non-periodic signals.

3. Can the Fourier Transform be performed without integration?

Yes, the Fourier Transform can be calculated without integration by using the Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) algorithm. This algorithm takes advantage of the properties of complex numbers to efficiently compute the Fourier Transform in a much shorter time compared to traditional integration methods.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform has many applications in fields such as signal processing, image processing, audio analysis, and data compression. It is used in technologies like MRI machines, speech recognition, and video streaming. It is also essential in fields like astronomy, where it is used to analyze signals from stars and galaxies.

5. Are there any limitations of the Fourier Transform?

One limitation of the Fourier Transform is that it assumes the signal is infinite and continuous, which is not always the case in real-world applications. Additionally, the Fourier Transform cannot capture time-varying phenomena, as it only provides information about the frequency components of a signal at a specific moment in time.